Some happy thoughts…
- CBO estimates of potential GDP closely track private-sector estimates of potential GDP.
- The gap between actual and potential GDP right now is still 6.6%.
- There is still lots of space for the CBO to mark down potential GDP: with no gap-closing 2017:IV potential GDP would be $15.2 trillion-8.6% below its 2007-vintage forecast.
- The CBO is currently forecasting a 3.5%/year real GDP growth rate over the next five years.
- To return us to the 2007-vintage potential GDP path would require a growth rate averaging 5.3%/year over the next five years.