Florida was a turning point in the presidential election four years ago. This year, it wasn't as significant politically but it is significant from an economic standpoint. Florida is one of those places you visit for pleasure and stay for business. Beautiful beaches and tropical weather attract tourists from all over the world, and the state’s low cost of living, and business friendly policies keep them there. Actually over 1,000 people relocate to Florida daily.
Some interesting facts about Florida are:
- Florida residents spend less on energy than any other state in the country.
- Florida is the top travel destination in the world, with a total of 77 billion visitors in 2004.
- The aerospace industry of Florida generates 23,000 jobs.
- Florida produces about 40% of total world supply of orange juice.
- Florida is the number four producer of nonfuel minerals in the country, generating more than 9,000 jobs.
- The state is the top producer of phosphate in the nation.
- Florida has no state income tax.
- Limited partnerships and S-corporations are exempt of income tax.
- The state does not impose a property tax.
- Florida is the 15th largest economy in the world.
The following companies are headquartered in Florida:
- Publix Super Markets, Inc. (PUSH.OB) is a retail supermarket chain in the state of Florida. The stock has a market cap of $102.37 billion, a P/E of 87, and it pays a yield of 0.4%.
- Carnival Corporation (CCL) is a cruise, hotel and vacation company, with property around the world. The stock has a market cap of $23.26 billion, a P/E of 10, a PEG of 0.88, and it pays a yield of 5.8%.
- CSX Corporation (CSX) is a transportation company. It provides rail services in North America. The stock has a market cap of $17.07 billion, a P/E of 12, a PEG of 0.68, and it pays a yield of 2.1%.
- FPL Group, Inc. (FPL) produces and sells electricity in the state of Florida. The stock has a market cap of $17.08 billion, a P/E of 14, a PEG of 0.98, and it pays a yield of 4.7%.
- Harris Corporation (HRS) is a communications company. Its customers include government, and broadcast networks. The stock has a market cap of $4.78 billion, a P/E of 11, a PEG of 0.51, and it pays a yield of 2.4%.
- Republic Services, Inc. (RSG) is a waste collection company. Its services include commercial, industrial and residential services throughout the United States. The stock has a market cap of $4.05 billion, a P/E of 16, a PEG of 1.11, and it pays a yield of 3.5%.
- Roper Industries, Inc. (ROP) is an energy systems developer. It produces scientific and industrial products and software. The stock has a market cap of $3.83 billion, a P/E of 14, a PEG of 0.86, and it pays a yield of 0.7%.
- Citrix Systems, Inc. (CTXS) is a developer and seller of software solutions. The stock has a market cap of $3.83 billion, a P/E of 21, and a PEG of 0.93.
- Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. (RCL) is a cruise company that operates worldwide. The stock has a market cap of $4.03 billion, a P/E of 6, a PEG of 0.58, and it pays a yield of 3.5%.
- Regency Centers Corporation (REG) is a real estate investment company. The stock has a market cap of $2.91 billion, a P/E of 20, a PEG of 1.34, and it pays a divided of 7.0%.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.