Until 1990, gambling in Mississippi was not permitted. Now it is a major source of revenue for the state and an attractive tourist attraction. Following are some interesting facts about Mississippi:
- 25% of total employment is generated by the agriculture industry.
- Mississippi's most important agricultural products are poultry and eggs, forestry, soybeans and corn.
- The state offers different business incentives to new businesses and businesses relocating to Mississippi. They include tax credits, and tax exemptions.
- The top manufactured products are processed foods, beverages, dairy and grain products.
- Between 2004 and 2005 Mississippi’s export increased by 26% to achieve a record $4 billion.
- Mississippi’s top export are chemical products.
- Manufacturing firms employ 172,000 workers in the state.
- Mississippi’s oil reserves rank it number 13 out of 50 states, with 167 million barrels of oil.
- Mississippi has the lowest cost of living of all states.
- In 2006 the total state product was $84 billion.
The following companies are headquartered in Mississippi:
- BancorpSouth, Inc. (NYSE:BXS) is a financial institution, providing services to individuals and businesses in several states. The stock has a market cap of $2.11 billion, a P/E of 15, a PEG of 1.93, and it pays a yield of 3.6%.
- Hancock Holding Company (NASDAQ:HBHC) is a financial institution. It services include banking, and lending. The stock has a market cap of $1.49 billion, a P/E of 20, a PEG of 1.78, and it pays a yield of 2.1%.
- Trustmark Corporation (NASDAQ:TRMK) is a financial company. Its services include banking and financial services for individuals, institutions and corporations. The stock has a market cap of $1.19 billion, a P/E of 12, a PEG of 1.33, and it pays a yield of 4.4%.
- EastGroup Properties, Inc. (NYSE:EGP) is a real estate company. It purchases and develops properties throughout the United States. The stock has a market cap of $905.92 million, a P/E of 27, a PEG of 1.17 and it pays a yield of 5.9%.
- Sanderson Farms, Inc. (NASDAQ:SAFM) is a poultry processing company. The stock has a market cap of $672.82 million, a P/E of 21, a PEG of 9.13, and it pays a yield of 1.6%.
- Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. (NASDAQ:CALM) is in the business of producing and packaging shell eggs. The stock has a market cap of $668.23 million, a P/E of 5, and it pays a yield of 2.5%.
- Renasant Corporation (NASDAQ:RNST) is a financial and insurance company. Its clients are retail and commercial businesses. The stock has a market cap of $416.98 million, a P/E of 13, a PEG of 1.56, and it pays a yield of 3.4%.
- Parkway Properties, Inc. (NYSE:PKY) is a real estate company, it purchases, manages and rents office space. The stock has a market cap of $312.90 million, a PEG of 1.25, and it pays a yield of 12.4%.
- Callon Petroleum Company (NYSE:CPE) is an oil and gas exploration company. The stock has a market cap of $237.19 million, a P/E of 12, and a PEG of 0.77.
- Peoples Financial Corporation (NASDAQ:PFBX) is a financial institution providing banking services in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $103.78 million, a P/E of 17, and it pays a yield of 2.8%.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.