A state of white sand beaches, mountain trails, and historic sites - no, not Hawaii; we are talking about South Carolina. Some other facts that you may not know about South Carolina follow:
- South Carolina’s GSP ranks 28th nationally, with a total of $152 billion.
- The state offers low corporate income taxes and no state property tax as a way to attract new business to the state.
- Tourism industry produces $16.7 billion each year.
- The top agricultural commodities are broilers, greenhouse and floriculture products, turkeys and cattle and calves.
- South Carolina’s agribusiness provides employment for 200,000 workers.
- Forests cover 2/3 of South Carolina’s surface and they provide for one of the state’s most valuable crops: timber, which produces $835 million annually.
- Mined minerals within the state have a value of $480 million.
- South Carolina is the top of producer of cement, and second in the production of kaolin.
- The state exports transportation equipment, chemical manufactures, and machinery manufactures, for a total of $9.8 billion.
- The top destination for South Carolina’s export is Germany, Canada, and Mexico.
The following companies are headquartered in South Carolina:
- Scana Corporation (NYSE:SCG) produces transports and sells electricity to customers in South Carolina. The stock has a market cap of $3.63 billion, a P/E of 11, a PEG of 2.22, and it pays a yield of 5.8%.
- Sonoco Products Company, (NYSE:SON) produces consumer packaging products, and provides packaging services to the industrial sector in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $2.39 billion, a P/E of 12, a PEG of 1.15, and it pays a yield of 5.1%.
- AVX Corporation (NYSE:AVX) produces, markets and distributes passive electronic components in the United States and internationally. The stock has a market cap of $1.43 billion, a P/E of 10, a PEG of 0.94, and it pays a dividend of 1.8%.
- Blackbaud, Inc. (NASDAQ:BLKB) designs and offers software to nonprofit organizations. The stock has a market cap of $666.22 million, a P/E of 20, a PEG of 1.15, and it pays a yield of 2.8%.
- ScanSource, Inc. (NASDAQ:SCSC) is a wholesaler of technology products. The stock has a market cap of $542.53 million, a P/E of 10, and a PEG of 0.66.
- The South Financial Group, Inc. (TSFG) acts as the holding company for Carolina First Bank and Mercantile Bank. The stock has a market cap of $473.38 million, and it pays a yield of 0.5%.
- First Citizens Bancorporation, Inc. (NASDAQ:FCZA) is the holding company for First Citizen Bank and Trust Company. The stock has a market cap of $361.68 million, a P/E of 6, and it pays a yield of 0.3%.
- World Acceptance Corporation (NASDAQ:WRLD) is a finance company. Its services include small loans and credit insurance products. The stock has a market cap of $438.39 million; it has a P/E of 8, and a PEG of 0.53.
- SCBT Financial (SCBT) renders retails services and commercial banking services through its subsidiaries. The stock has a market cap of $340.64 million, a P/E of 14, a PEG of 1.38, and it pays a dividend of 2.1%.
- First Financials Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:FFCH) is the holding company of First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Charleston. The stock has a market cap of $244.29 million, a P/E of 11, a PEG of 1.18, and it pays a yield of 5.1%.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.