Long gone are the days when the French system of trading furs in Ohio was synonymous of wealth. Today Ohio’s economy is one of the most dynamic in America. These are some interesting facts about Ohio:
- Ohio is one of the top consumers of energy in the country.
- The state has a biomass energy program aimed to increase development and production of alternative biomass fuels in the state.
- In 2007 Ohio’s gross domestic product was $466 billion.
- The state’s manufacturing industries are the top producers in the U.S. of plastics and rubber, and electrical equipment and appliances.
- Walmart (NYSE:WMT) is Ohio’s largest employer, employing over 50,000 workers.
- The state’s top exports are automobiles and machinery.
- Ohio’s exports account for 4% of the total U.S. export with total export receipts in 2007 of $42.4 billion.
- The main mined mineral in Ohio is coal. The state has reserves of 23.7 billion short tons and it ranks seventh nationally.
- The manufacturing industry produces 20% of the state’s total output in 2007.
- The bioscience industry accounts for 17% of the state’s total output.
The following companies are headquartered in Ohio:
Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE:PG) provides beauty, health products and household care products worldwide. The stock has a market cap of $188 billion, a P/E of 17, a PEG of 1.47, and it pays a yield of 2.5%.
The Kroger Co. (NYSE:KR) is a supermarket retailer in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $17 billion, a P/E of 14, a PEG of 1.48, and it pays a yield of 1.4%.
FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE:FE) is an electric utilities service company in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $15 billion, a P/E of 13, a PEG of 1.29, and it pays a yield of 4.6%.
Cardinal Health (NYSE:CAH) is a provider of products and services to hospitals and clinics in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $14 billion, a P/E of 11, a PEG of 0.80, and it pays a yield of 1.5%.
American Electric Power Company, Inc. (NYSE:AEP) is a producer and marketer of electric power in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $ 12 billion, a P/E of 8, a PEG of 1.64, and it pays a yield of 5.6%.
The Progressive Corporation (NYSE:PGR) is an automobile insurance company. It also provides other property and casualty insurance products. The stock has a market cap of $9 billion, a P/E of 1354, a PEG of 1.22, and it pays a yield of 1.1%.
Fifth Third Bancorp (NASDAQ:FITB) is a financial services institution. It offers banking services and cash management among others. The stock has a market cap of $7 billion, a P/E of 15, a PEG of 2.85, and it pays a dividend of 4.7%.
Eaton Corporation (NYSE:ETN) is a producer and distributor of electrical components. The stock has a market cap of $7 billion, a P/E of 6, a PEG of 0.48, and it pays a yield of 4.6%.
Nationwide Financial Services, Inc. (NFS) offers savings and retirement accounts in the United States. The company has a market cap of $6.7 billion, a forward P/E of 20, a PEG of 1.13, and it pays a yield of 2.4%.
National City Corporation (NCC) is a financial institution providing banking services in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $2.2 billion, and it pays a yield of 1.3%.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.