From Between the Hedges:
@ 2 AM EDT:
NIKKEI 225 +1.87%
NIKKEI 300 +1.85%
HANG SENG -1.19%
- Vonage Holdings (VG), a money-losing pioneer in the Internet phone-service business, raised $531.3 million in an IPO today as it seeks to keep ahead of competitors such as AT&T (T) and Comcast (CMCSA).
- The US dollar gained for a second day in Asia after a World Health Organization report said seven Indonesians may have contracted bird flu from other people, bolstering demand for safer assets.
- China raised fuel prices for the second time this year, which may slow demand growth further, according to analysts.
- Iran shut down a newspaper and detained its chief editor and cartoonist today for publishing a cartoon that has spawned riots by ethnic Azeris. The response, the first since President Ahmadinejad came to power, is a sign the Iranian government does not want a spotlight on the country’s internal divisions in the midst of a showdown with the US and Europe over nuclear issues.
- Japan and the US will issue a joint statement in June saying they will expand their defense alliance on a global scale.
Late Buy/Sell Recommendations
- None of note
S&P 500 indicated -.20%.
NASDAQ 100 indicated -.14%.
US AM Market Call
NASDAQ 100 Pre-Market Indicator/Heat Map
Before the Bell CNBC Video(bottom right)
Top 20 Business Stories
Daily Stock Events
Rasmussen Consumer/Investor Daily Indices
CNBC Guest Schedule
8:30 am EST
- Durable Goods Orders for April are estimated to fall .5% versus a 6.4% gain in March.
- Durables Ex Transportation for April are estimated to rise .5% versus a 3.3% rise in March.
10:00 am EST
- New Home Sales for April are estimated to fall to 1135K versus 1213K in March.
BOTTOM LINE: Asian indices are higher, weighed down by commodity stocks in the region. I expect US equities to open modestly higher and to fall modestly into the afternoon, finishing mixed.