At Friday night's Lakers versus Celtics basketball game, tickets supposedly went for $20,000 each from the scalpers. Basketball, in addition to being a great aerobic sport for participants, and a great spectator sport for fans, is also big business. The following companies are involved in the sport of basketball in some way, some just a small portion of their business.
- Cablevision Systems Corp. (NYSE:CVC) The company's Madison Square Garden division owns and operates the New York Knickerbockers basketball team; they also own the Madison Square Garden Arena, the New York Rangers hockey team, the New York Liberty women's basketball team, and the Hartford Wolf Pack hockey team. The stock has a P/E of 45, a PEG of 5.62, and a yield of 2.7%.
- Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) The company owns Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the Philadelphia 76ers of the National Basketball Association, along with the the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League, and the Philadelphia Phantoms of the American Hockey League. The stock has a P/E of 17, a PEG of 1.49, and a yield of 1.6%.
- Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. (NYSE:DKS) markets basketballs and basketball equipment and apparel, along with all other types of sports equipment and sportswear. The stock has a P/E of 11, and a PEG of 0.66.
- Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK.A) Warren Buffet's company owns Russell Corporation, which owns Spalding, a leading producer of basketballs, and has been the official ball supplier to the NBA since 1983. The stock has a P/E of 18.
- Amer Sports Oyj (OTCPK:AGPDY) the largest manufacturer of sporting equipment in the world, owns the Wilson Sporting Goods Company, manufacturer of the official ball of all NCAA postseason tournaments.
- Nike (NYSE:NKE) produces balls for ULEB, including the Euroleague and is used in the NCAA and UAAP in the Philippines. The stock has a P/E of 13, a PEG of 1.01, and a yield of 2%.
- United States Basketball League Inc. (OTCPK:USBL) is a Connecticut company that manages and franchises a professional basketball league in the United States. This is a very low market cap stock and should therefore be considered very speculative.
- American Basketball Association, Inc. [ABKB.PK] operates a professional basketball league in the United States, along with selling league-related merchandise and products. This is a very low market cap stock and should therefore be considered very speculative.
Disclosure: Author has owned USBL.OB for a long time. No recommendation expressed or implied.