Sick of poor returns, tax bills, mutual fund scandals, biased research, bad advice from brokers and excessive fees? Seeking Alpha's ETF Investing Guide is a free, unbiased online investment guide for mainstream and wealthy individuals that shows you how to lower your risk and slash your investment costs using exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
It's arranged right here in short chapters to make it easy to read online. For a quick overview, read the one-page summary. It presents the key points from each chapter, and links to them for fuller explanation.
What Not To Do
- The Three Goals of Investing
- Was Peter Lynch Really Right?
- Your Stock Picks Aren't As Good As They Seem
- The Problem With Tech Stocks
- Did Stock Picking Distract You?
- How To Beat the Market
- The Challenge of Trying to Pick Small Cap Stocks
- Measuring Stock Pickers’ Underperformance
- Why You Shouldn’t Buy Mutual Funds
- Mutual Fund Ratings
- How to Run a Mutual Fund Company
- So You Thought Mutual Funds Help You Diversify?
- Summary: What Not To Do
A Better Approach
- Why Indexing Wins
- Do You Really Need Help With Asset Allocation?
- A 1-Page ETF Primer
- The 7 Advantages of ETFs Over Index Mutual Funds
- ETFs Are Cheaper Than Index Mutual Funds
- The Single (But Serious) Disadvantage of ETFs
- Summary: A Better Approach
How To Assemble an ETF Portfolio
- A Core ETF Portfolio
- Understanding the Core Portfolio
- The Low-Maintenance ETF Portfolio
- Why You Shouldn't Own DIA, SPY or QQQQ
- What to Buy in Which Account
- The 4 Criteria for Picking a Brokerage
- Summary: How to Assemble an ETF Portfolio
How to Manage Your Portfolio to Reduce Risk & Raise Returns
- Turning Taxes to Your Advantage
- How to Make Money By Rebalancing
- Rebalancing Rules
- Should You Use Sector ETFs?
- Combining Tax Loss Selling & Rebalancing
- Summary: How to Manage Your Portfolio
When To Get Started
Emerging Markets & Closed-End Funds
- Why You May Want Exposure to Emerging Markets
- Why Use Closed-End Funds?
- Buying Closed-End Funds in Practice
- Closed-End Funds to Consider
- Summary: Emerging Markets & Closed-End Funds
Brokers, Financial Advisors & Investing For the Wealthy
- My Broker's an Honest Fox
- Asset-Based Fees to the Rescue
- Me, Use an Online Broker? But I'm Rich!
- But What if You Saved $275k Annually?
- Financial Advisors
- Separately Managed Accounts (SMAs)
- The Quirks of Market Segmentation
- What to Do With What's Left?
- Summary: Brokers, FAs & Investing For the Wealthy