There was no Lightning Round on August 18.
Playing it Safe: Security and Defense Stocks
Although Cramer has been touting defensive rather than defense stocks, and he observes that this sector is not yet in full swing, "when the bull comes back, you'll want a shopping list of great security and defense companies," he said.
1. General Dynamics (GD):"I want you to keep this baby in mind in the future, not buy it up right now, even with their mega-buyback and recent dividend boost," Cramer says.
2. Analogic (ALOG): This high-multiple stock was taken down 25% in selloff and reported a poor quarter. However, Cramer likes the company, in part because it has a health care component, and he adds that those who don't buy it when it is cheap will have to "defend themselves from an ugly missed opportunity."
3. Nice Systems (NICE): This company is based in Israel where people have a lot of practice with security, observes Cramer. Nice recently reported a 30% growth and Cramer recommended picking it up as an aggressive play.
4. Osi Systems (OSIS): Osi recently won a $125 million lawsuit against L-3 Communications (LLL), and Cramer notes that the company has grown 26% and is up 6 cents a share rather than the predicted 3 cents.
5. Viisage Technology (VISG) and Identix (IDNX): Although VISG fell after his recommendation to buy it in March, Cramer explains, "... that was all arbitrage pressure from the Identix (IDNX) merger," he said. "When a face-recognition company merges with a fingerprint ID company, you've got a police-state powerhouse."
6. Axsys Technologies (AXYS) and Edo (EDO): These companies make "future combat systems"; Edo produces unmanned aircraft and high-tech equipment for missiles, and AXYS is perfecting thermal imaging devices.
Seeking Alpha publishes a summary of Jim Cramer's stock picks every day including: Mad Money Recap, Lightening Round, Stop Trading and his Radio Show.
Get Cramer's Picks by email -- it's free and takes only a few seconds to sign up.