This is a copy of the SA Pro Top Long And Short Ideas daily report sent exclusively to Pro subscribers on Monday, August 26. It was made fully available on Seeking Alpha twenty-four hours later.
Dear SA Pro subscriber,
This is your daily report for Monday, August 26, with today's top long and short ideas available only to SA Pro subscribers.
Recent Top Contributors
Since our update of the Alpha-Rich ideas category on May 20th, we've published 266 Alpha-Rich ideas, of which 231 have been long ideas, 34 have been short ideas, and one has been a pair trade. We wanted to highlight the results of some of our frequent contributors.
Of contributors who have published 3 or more long ideas, here are the top contributors based on average return for their picks (return measured from time of publication to subscribers through August 23rd close):
- McDuck Capital: 3 ideas with an average return of +20%. One of the contributor's calls was PostNL, a solid cash generator in a declining industry. Read article »
- Valuable Insights: 4 ideas with an average return of +13.4%. One of those article detailed Rubicon's upcoming cyclical and secular upturn. Read article »
- Mike Williams: 4 ideas with an average return of +7.8%. His top performer is Humana, which he called misunderstood and 35% undervalued. Read article »
- Josh Burwick: 6 ideas with an average return of +7.7%. One stock he tagged was Bazaarvoice, which he said offered surprising value in a hot tech market. Read article »
- Ashraf Eassa: 14 ideas with an average return of +7.7%. One that's played out well is PLX Technology, which Eassa said was newly focused and profitable. Read article »
- Caiman Valores: 7 ideas with an average return of +7.7%. BPZ Resources has continued to rise since Valores said the oil company could double in value. Read article »
Of contributors who have published two or more short ideas, here are the top contributors based on average return for their picks (return measured from time of publication to subscribers through August 23rd close):
- Ashraf Eassa: 3 ideas with an average return of -34.5%. Eassa argued that Biozoom was greatly overvalued in June. Read article »
- Wall Street Advisors: 2 ideas with an average return of -16.6%. The former buy-side analyst raised questions about ExamWorks' valuation. Read article »
- REIT Analyst: 2 ideas with an average return of -11.2%. The mREIT expert pegged issues with Hatteras's book value in July. Read article »
- Money Investor: 4 ideas with an average return of -6.9%. The contributor said Columbia Sportswear's poor guidance for 2013 would lead to 30% downside. Read article »
Stock Movers and Great Calls
Alpha-Rich long and short ideas regularly move stocks and identify stocks that are about to move. Some notable recent calls subscribers had early access to:
- Two weeks ago, GuruFundPicks argued that Thomson Creek may have reached an inflection point with its Q2 results. The stock is 10.5% since. Read article »
- On July 9, fund manager Saj Karsan pointed out the huge discount on PineTree Capital's debentures. The debt is +24% since. Read article »
To Come Today
Don't forget to check your SA Pro dashboard during market hours today for the latest Alpha-Rich ideas, including new long ideas from two of the top contributors mentioned above.
SA Pro Editors
The SA Pro team is Eli Hoffmann (Editor in Chief), Rachael Granby (Editorial Product Manager), Daniel Shvartsman, Samir Patel, Michael McDonald, and Jeffrey Fischer (Senior Pro Editors). You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.