Readers can scan Boone Pickens' hedge fund holdings in BP Capital in spreadsheet form here. His activity in Q4 2009 suggests a strong bullish stance.
- As Pickens is an oil man, it is no surprise that nearly all his holdings are energy-related. BP Capital does not typically have a large number of stocks in its portfolio but they added eleven new positions last quarter while divesting none. The three largest new positions were Transocean (NYSE:RIG), Occidental Petroleum (NYSE:OXY) and Sandridge Energy (NYSE:SD).
- BP Capital basically doubled down on bets in Gastar Exploration (NYSEMKT:GST) and McMoran Exploration (NYSE:MMR).
- Minimal selling activity evenly spread across most holdings suggested Pickens was simply raising money for new positions, not souring on any current holdings.
Jim Puplava's internet podcast seems to get longer with each passing month and it's been a while since I have tuned in. Bear in mind, Puplava does not run a hedge fund but rather, manages individual accounts, each of which may have different requirements, risk tolerance, parameters, etc. Viewing his filing in form is recommended but I include a quick summary below:
- Puplava's three largest adds were Monsanto (NYSE:MON), Petrochina (NYSE:PTR), and Jaguar Mining (NYSE:JAG). These positions remain consistent with his long-term focus on commodities and dollar diversification.
- Notable divestitures include MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR) and Aqua America (NYSE:WTR).
- Material additions to existing stakes in ExxonMobil (NYSE:XOM), Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO), Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) indicates Puplava may favor some sort of blue chip strategy.
View both managers' holdings in spreadsheet format:
- Boone Pickens (BP Capital) 2009 Q4 13F-HR filing spreadsheet
- Jim Puplava (Puplava Financial Services) 2009 Q4 13F-HR filing spreadsheet
See other managers’ 13F-HR filings here.
Disclosure: No positions