Dear SA PRO subscriber,
This is your daily report for Friday, January 3, with today's top long and short ideas available only to SA PRO subscribers.
PRO Exclusive: What's New
- Alpha-Rich ideas will now be called Top Ideas. We believe the new name is a more accurate description of these articles.
- Top Ideas are our best long and short ideas.
- Subscribers get a 24-hour early look at these ideas as well as exclusive access to past Top Ideas in our research library.
If you have any feedback on this or other recent changes, please let us know at email@example.com.
Top Ideas' Top Contributors
As we enter 2014, we wanted to give special mention to a few of our best Top Ideas contributors. These are five of our top contributors based on 2013 idea performance (on an absolute, rather than annualized, basis) from publication through the end of trading yesterday:
- Tech expert Ashraf Eassa had a strong year, calling out promoted penny stock Biozoom, making one of the year's best short calls in Violin Memory, and posting an average return of 19.4% and a return of 12.0% relative to the S&P 500. His best long call was predicting a turnaround at PC accessories supplier Logitech. Read article »
- Calls from buysider Igor Novgorodtsev gained an average of 11.2% - including two pieces published in the last week of the year - and a return of 3.5% relative to the broad market. His July call to buy 'sin stock' Rick's Cabaret has returned 33.8%. Read article »
- Intangible Valuation saw two of his long calls better than triple in 2013, highlighting an impressive year. His recommendations saw an average return of 36.1% and a return of 26.3% relative to the S&P 500. Alliance Healthcare Services has gained 266.5% since his bullish article was published in March. Read article »
- Valuable Insights posted an average return of 16.7% and a return of 7.6% relative to the S&P 500. In November, he detailed the bull case for Performance Technologies, which has gained 33% in just six weeks. Read article »
- Energy expert Richard Zeits saw an average return of 8.3% post-publication, and 4.9% on a relative basis. Zeits went two-for-two in his short calls - including SandRidge Mississippian Trust, down over 34% - while his June recommendation of Penn Virginia has nearly doubled. Read article »
We congratulate these contributors, and all of our Top Ideas authors, and look forward to continued success in 2014.
Exclusive Top Ideas
- Sum Of Parts Analysis Indicates Amrep Is Substantially Undervalued, by Soldier of Fortune. Even harshly conservative land value assumptions should lead AXR to trade much higher, as this hedge fund analyst sees 200% upside. Exclusive until 9:30 AM today.
- Cherry Hill Mortgage Investment Corp.: A Favorable Bet On Rising Interest Rates, by Steven Reiman. Mortgage servicer CHMI doesn't carry the same risks of more conventional REITs, and shares appear 40% undervalued. Exclusive until 9:45 AM today.
- Standex International: Long-Term Industrial Growth, by DAG1996. Diversified industrial SXI is undergoing a restructuring to strengthen its competitive position, giving it 25% upside against modest downside. Exclusive until 10:00 AM today.
- Westamerica Bancorporation: This Shrinking Bank Is Too Expensive, by Ashleigh Rogers. Facing a competitive banking market, WABC has shrinking revenues and profits, but a rich valuation. Exclusive until 10:15 AM today.
- CAMAC Energy's Gross Overvaluation Is A Gift From Santa Claus To All Short Sellers For 2014, by Value Digger. CAK has been driven higher by market sentiment and temporary factors, but geopolitical and operational risk could lead to 60% downside. Exclusive until 11:00 AM today.
Stock Movers and Great Calls
Long and short Top Ideas regularly move stocks and identify stocks that are about to move. Some notable recent calls subscribers had early access to:
- On December 27, Itinerant called out diversified miner Sierra Metals as an undervalued play set to double in 2014, after surviving the 2013 carnage in the mining sector. The stock is +26.0% since his call. Read article »
- Alpha Bet cited a number of impending catalysts - including a new EPA rule - in recommending refrigerant servicer Hudson Technologies back in July. Shares are now +57.7% to date. Read article »
To Come Today
Don't forget to check your SA PRO dashboard during market hours today for the latest Top Ideas.
SA PRO Editors
The SA PRO team is Eli Hoffmann (Editor in Chief), Daniel Shvartsman (Managing Editor), Michael McDonald, Jeffrey Fischer, and Vince Martin (Senior PRO Editors). You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.