New Hampshire is a manufacturing and exporting state. In 2008 more than 20% of all manufacturing output was sold in the international market. New Hampshire has a solid manufacturing industry producing electrical products, machinery, textiles and pulp and paper. The granite state produces much more than just granite.
Some interesting facts about New Hampshire follow:
1. New Hampshire does not impose sales tax or income tax.
2. Nashua, NH is rated the number one city to live in the United States.
3. New Hampshire exports more than $36 million worth of agricultural products every year.
4. There are more than 3,400 farms in the state.
5. The state’s top agricultural products include greenhouse and nursery products, dairy, and apples.
6. New Hampshire’s top commodities by cash receipts are dairy products, cattle, and chicken eggs.
7. The state is the eight fastest growing exporter in the United States.
8. Total New Hampshire exports for the year 2009 totaled $3.1 billion.
9. 25% of New Hampshire exports went to Mexico.
10. New Hampshire’s top manufacture exports are computers, computer parts and electronics.
The following companies are headquartered in New Hampshire:
White Mountains Insurance Group, Ltd. (WTM) along with its subsidiaries is an insurance company. Its services include marine insurance, tuition reimbursement, accident and health, and workers’ compensation among other services. The stock has a market cap of $3.2 billion, a P/E of 26, and it pays a yield of 0.3%.
SkillSoft plc (SKIL) is in the businesses of delivering e-learning solutions to government and institutions around the world. Some of its products are: SkillChoice Multi Modal learning and SkillSoft. The stock has a market cap of $1.1 billion, a P/E of 15, and a PEG of 0.84.
Timberland Co. (TBL) is a footwear company. It designs and produces shoes and clothes for men and women. The stock has a market cap of $940 million, a P/E of 21, and a PEG of 1.49.
Jaguar Mining Inc. (JAG) is a company specializing in the extraction of gold from properties in Brazil. The stock has a market cap of $900 million, and a P/E of 30.
GT Solar International Inc. (SOLR) produces and markets photovoltaic wafers and cells to customers around the world. The stock has a market cap of $783 million, a P/E of 10, and a PEG of 0.25.
Bottomline Technologies Inc. (EPAY) offers electronic payment processing and invoicing to businesses and banks in the United States and internationally. The stock has a market cap of $461 million, a P/E of 26, and a PEG of 1.48.
Standex International Corp. (SXI) is a manufacturing company. Some of its products include: restaurant equipment, and equipment for supermarkets, drugstores and casinos. The stock has a market cap of $337 million, a P/E of 12, and it pays a yield of 07%.
Unitil Corp. (UTL) sells electricity and natural gas to customers in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Maine. The stock has a market cap of $255 million, a P/E of 16, a PEG of 3.12, and it pays a yield of 5.9%.
PC Connection, Inc. (PCCC) sells computer systems, software and accessories to small businesses and government; it also offers services such as installation, and repair. The stock has a market cap of $176 million, a P/E of 19, and a PEG of 1.53. This is a small cap stock and should be considered speculative.
Pennichuck Corp. (PNNW) is in the business of collecting and delivering potable water to consumers in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The company serves residential and industrial customers. The stock has a market value of $109 million, a P/E of 34, and it pays a yield of 3.0%. This is a small cap stock and should be considered speculative.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.