Gobal Data takes an in-depth look at the future for advanced biofuels in the US in this complimentary download.
The biofuels industry is moving toward feedstock options such as jatropha seeds, palm oil and algae. These feedstocks do not have much influence on food markets supply and pricing and hence do not influence the “food vs. fuel” controversy. Also, the oil yield of these potential feedstocks is much higher than the conventional feedstocks used in the biofuel industry.
The advanced biofuel market in the US is an evolving market attracting investors as well as policy makers. Major industry players such as BP (NYSE:BP), Shell (NYSE:RDS.A), Chevron (NYSE:CVX), Abengoa (OTCPK:ABGOF) as well as technology-specific companies such as Codexis (NASDAQ:CDXS), BlueFire (OTCPK:BFRE), Verenium (NASDAQ:VRNM), OriginOil (OOIL.OB) and Rentech (NASDAQ:RTK) are investing in this industry for technological developments and the establishment of production facilities.
The industry is evolving fast due to technological innovations, large investments by private players, and support from the US government. The biofuel companies are focusing on developing advanced biofuel technologies aided by strong financing support through joint ventures, equity offering and venture financing.
Major biofuel investors in the US are Range Fuels, Inc., BlueFire Ethanol Fuels, Inc. and Mascoma Corporation. Since 2008, some of the key players in the US advanced biofuel industry have invested $1.4 billion to commercialize the technologies and develop the market.Advanced biofuels has also attracted the focus of oil majors.
US Department of Energy (DoE) has provided $718m in funding for the commercialization of advanced biofuels as well as to help the industry to meet the mandated production targets for advanced biofuels, which will increase from 950 million gallons in 2010 to 21 billion gallons per year in 2022.
The report covers:
- Recent developments in the US biofuels market
- Focus of the biofuels industry towards advanced biofuels
- Technological advancements in different generations of biofuels
- Key players investing in the US advanced biofuels market
- Type of investments coming in the US advanced biofuels market
- Major joint ventures announced for the development and commercialization of advanced biofuels technologies
- Government support highlighted as the key driver to increase investments in the US advanced biofuel industry