At 7:30 AM EDT:
S&P 500: +0.90; 1,406.20
NASDAQ 100: +2.00; 1,813.25
Dow: +8.00; 12,360.00
NIKKEI 225: +0.05%; 15,734.14 (+8.20)
HANG SENG: +0.28%; 19,008.30 (+53.67)
S&P/ASX 200: +0.67%; 5,358.00 (+35.60)
BSE SENSEX 30: +1.39%; 13,616.77 (+186.06)
FTSE 100: +0.34%; 6,225.90 (+21.40)
CAC 40: +0.43%; 5,478.16 (+23.42)
XETRA-DAX: +0.34%; 6,474.03 (+21.70)
Commodity Futures (Reuters/Jefferies CRB)
Oil: +0.85%; $59.30 (+$0.50)
Gold: +0.53%; $625.40 (+$3.30)
Natural Gas: -0.24%; $8.00 (-$0.02)
Silver: +1.57%; $12.94 (+$0.20)
Asian Headlines (via Bloomberg.com)
• Korean Air to Buy 25 Boeing Planes, Its Largest Order, as Demand Surges Korean Air Lines Co., the biggest international cargo carrier, ordered 25 Boeing Co. planes, its largest purchase, as air traffic in the Asia-Pacific region outpaces the rest of the world.
• ICICI Bank to Borrow a Record $1 Billion to Boost Capital as Loans Expand ICICI Bank Ltd. (NYSE:IBN), India's largest by market value, is raising $1 billion by borrowing in yen to finance lending after its loan growth surged 47 percent.
• Asian Stocks Advance From Five-Week Low, Led by Hankyu Hanshin, High Tech Asian stocks rose from a five-week low as investors judged a four-day slide excessive given the outlook for earnings. Hankyu Hanshin Holdings Inc. rose after profit more than doubled.
• Japan's Economy to Keep Growing, Rates to Rise Gradually, BOJ Minutes Show The Bank of Japan reiterated plans to raise interest rates ``gradually,'' keeping pace with inflation and growth in the world's second-largest economy, minutes of a policy board meeting held last month show.
• Shanghai Pudong Bank Sees `No Urgency' for Citigroup to Increase Stake Shanghai Pudong Development Bank Co. said it hasn't started talks on selling a bigger stake to Citigroup Inc. C and doesn't need more capital yet after completing a 6 billion yuan ($762 million) public share sale.
European Headlines (via Bloomberg.com)
• Regulator of Bonds in Europe Bows to Banks, Blocks Investor Transparency The European Commission is rolling back a plan to provide greater protection to investors in the $15 trillion European market for corporate and government bonds, bowing to the world's biggest banks and the financial regulator in London.
• European Stocks Rise on Earnings, Merger Speculation; Deutsche Bank Gains European stocks advanced for a second day on speculation earnings growth and mergers and acquisitions will help extend a 3 1/2-year rally.
• VegaPlus Commodities Hedge Fund Quit Natural Gas, Avoided Amaranth Fate Julian Barrowcliffe's Anglian Commodities Fund exited the natural gas market almost a year before Amaranth Advisors LLC, another hedge fund, was destroyed by plunging energy prices.
• ITV Rejects Takeover Approach by NTL, Says `Little Logic' to Combination ITV Plc, the U.K.'s biggest commercial broadcaster, rejected a takeover offer from NTL Inc. (NTLI), saying the bid was too low.
• ICAP's Pretax Profit Climbs 9 Percent on Increased Trading of Derivatives ICAP Plc, the world's largest broker of transactions between banks, said first-half pretax profit rose 9 percent, helped by increased trading of derivatives.
• France, EU, Six Nations Agree to Build $12.9 Billion Nuclear-Fusion Plant Europe, the U.S. and five other nations signed a 10 billion euro ($12.8 billion) agreement to build an experimental nuclear-fusion reactor that one day could replace conventional nuclear power plants.
U.S. Headlines (via Bloomberg.com)
• Platinum Advances to Record in Asia on Exchange-Traded Fund Speculation Platinum rose to a record in London on speculation a new investment fund for the metal will make it more accessible to investors, putting a squeeze on supply.
• Deere's Profit Increases 19 Percent on Unexpected Rise in Equipment Sales Deere & Co. (NYSE:DE), the world's largest maker of farm equipment, said fiscal fourth-quarter profit increased 19 percent as sales unexpectedly rose.
• Freeport's $25.5 Billion Phelps Dodge Deal May Spur More Mining Takeovers Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.'s (NYSE:FCX) plan to buy Phelps Dodge Corp. (PD) for $25.5 billion may signal the mining industry's yearlong buying spree is far from over because of lofty metals prices and a shortage of new mines.
• U.S. Stock-Index Futures Rise; Medtronic, Juniper Networks Gain in Europe U.S. stock-index futures rose. Medtronic Inc. (NYSE:MDT), the biggest maker of heart defibrillators, gained in Europe after earnings beat analysts' estimates.