There were twelve new ETFs and two new ETNs launched in June. With no closures, the net increase of fourteen for the month places the number of currently listed products at 1,009 (914 ETFs and 95 ETNs), the highest level ever. The number of listings briefly topped 1,000 for the first time ever in May before closing out the month at 995.
We have seen 107 new ETPs launched in the first half of 2010, which falls far short of the pace set in 2007 when 171 new products came to market by this time. Calendar year 2008 had 150 new ETP introductions through June, keeping 2010 on target to be the third most prolific year for new product launches.
Notional trading of ETPs dropped -23% in June to $1.74 trillion. With two additional trading days in the month, this resulted in a dramatic -33.5% plunge in average daily value traded (ADVT) to just $79.0 billion. SPDR S&P 500 (NYSEARCA:SPY) continues to grab the lion’s share of all trading activity. For June, it accounted for 35.5% of notional ETP trading activity with $618 billion worth of shares changing hands. SPY is also sitting on about $382 million in dividends that it owes to shareholders.
The number of products on Deathwatch (ADVT below $100,000 and more than six months on the market) surged more than 54% from 86 to 133.
|June 2010 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||914||95||1009|
|Listed as of 12/31/2009||836||89||925|
|New Introductions for Month||12||2||14|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||0||0||0|
|Net Change for Month||+12||+2||+14|
|New Introductions YTD||101||6||107|
|Net Change YTD||+78||+6||+84|
|ADVT > $1 Billion||13||0||13|
|ADVT > $100 Million||78||1||79|
|% on Deathwatch||10.7%||36.8%||13.2%|
New products launched in June (in chronological order):
- United States Brent Oil Fund (NYSEARCA:BNO) (Brent Oil Fund Now Available)
- PowerShares International Corporate Bond (NYSEARCA:PICB) (Another International Corporate Bond ETF)
- Claymore BulletShares 2011 Corporate Bond ETF (NYSEARCA:BSCB) (Claymore Introduces BulletShares Target Maturity Bond ETFs)
- Claymore BulletShares 2012 Corporate Bond ETF (NYSEARCA:BSCC)
- Claymore BulletShares 2013 Corporate Bond ETF (NYSEARCA:BSCD)
- Claymore BulletShares 2014 Corporate Bond ETF (NYSEARCA:BSCE)
- Claymore BulletShares 2015 Corporate Bond ETF (NYSEARCA:BSCF)
- Claymore BulletShares 2016 Corporate Bond ETF (NYSEARCA:BSCG)
- Claymore BulletShares 2017 Corporate Bond ETF (NYSEARCA:BSCH)
- Teucrium Corn Fund (NYSEARCA:CORN) (Corn Now Trading as an ETP)
- Claymore Shipping ETF (NYSEARCA:SEA) (SEA Sets Sail On Second Sojourn)
- Global X Brazil Mid Cap ETF (NYSEARCA:BRAZ) (Brazil Now Available in Small, Medium, or Large)
- PowerShares DB 3x Long 25+ Year Treasury Bond ETN (NYSEARCA:LBND) (Turning Treasury Bonds Into Unsecured Debt)
- PowerShares DB 3x Short 25+ Year Treasury Bond ETN (NYSEARCA:SBND)
Product closures/delistings in June: none
Previous monthly statistics reports are available here.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, publisher, and affiliates: No positions in any of the securities mentioned. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.