The market had its sixth straight day of gains today. As "Risk-On" investors come back into the market, I am allocating a little more of my "dry powder" to small cap stocks that took a hit in the sell-off that commenced at the beginning of March.
One of these is a small touch sensor tech company called Neonode Inc. (NASDAQ:NEON). I took a small position in this tech play this morning.
Neonode develops and licenses the next generation of optical multisensing touch solutions for some of the world's largest consumer brands, including Sony (NYSE:SNE), Volvo (OTCPK:VOLVY), Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS), Kobo, Oregon Scientific, Alpine (OTCPK:AELEF), and Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN). The company has been public since 1992, and has a market capitalization just north of $200 million. The stock sells for just under $6 a share
6 reasons NEON is worth more than $6 a share:
- Neonode has been working with Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ) since late in 2012. The first Hewlett-Packard printers are launching with Neonode's touchscreen technology. This is a huge relationship. as the company sells over 40 million printers a year, and this technology will be incorporated into myriad models. Neonode's technology will also be featured in Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) CarPlay product.
- Earnings are at the start of a powerful ramp-up. The company lost 37 cents a share in FY2013, but the current consensus calls for Neonode to post a loss of just about a dime a share in FY2014. In FY2015, current projections call for the company to make about 70 cents a share in profit.
- Revenues are expected to skyrocket over the next few years as well. The company posted revenues of less than $4 million in FY2013. Sales are expected to more than triple this year to over $13 million on the back of new project launches. Over $70 million in revenues are penciled in using the current consensus for FY2015.
- An insider made two purchases of totaling some $200K over the past month. These were the first insider buys since September 2012. The stock more than doubled over the next year after those previous insider purchases.
- The company has net cash on its balance sheet, is priced at just over 8x projected FY2015 EPS, and has 16 patents, with another 78 pending.
- The stock is significantly under the price targets placed on it by various analysts. Only three analysts cover the stock, but they have price targets ranging from $11.25 to $14 a share on NEON.
NOTE: As with all small cap stocks with no current earnings, Neonode contains risks. The most important is maintaining a good relationship with Hewlett-Packard. On small cap stocks, I tend to take more and smaller positions than with larger cap stocks to spread my risk among a larger pool of stocks.
Disclosure: I am long NEON. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.