It isn’t clear whether AT&T actually expected to deliver these innovations. They certainly were beat to market by Cable with the cable modem, and I can’t think of a single application innovation out of the company in the last 16 years.
Keep in mind that in 1993:
- AOL was virtually unknown
- 14.4k modems were state of the art
- The Web Browser had just been invented
- Most students at universities didn’t own their own computer
- Transmitting audio, let alone video to a consumer over the network was impossible
A remarkably accurate prediction of the future. Too bad their execution didn’t match their (or their ad agency's) vision.
And is that Tom Selleck narrating? Whoa.
Full Disclosure - I am long AT&T.