Eight new ETFs and eight new ETNs were introduced in August, a substantial drop from the 23 in July. Two ETFs were delisted, and the net increase of 14 new products pushed current listings to 1,046 (940 ETFs and 106 ETNs). So far in 2010 there have been 129 ETFs and 17 ETNs brought to market for a total of 146 new products.
One of the new ETFs introduced is actively-managed (NYSEARCA:ELD), while both of the closures (RFF and RPQ) were actively-managed ETFs. That makes a lifetime total of four closures for actively-managed ETFs and puts the current count 27.
As expected, trading activity was down for the month of August. Monthly dollar volume (value traded) across all ETPs was down -7.4% for the month at $1.325 trillion. Daily dollar volume dropped -11.7% to $60.2 billion from $68.2 billion in July. SPDR S&P 500 (NYSEARCA:SPY) dominated all trading activity again, grabbing 16.6% of the total volume and a whopping 36.7% of dollar volume.
Assets in ETFs declined -2.6% for the month while ETN assets climbed +6.3%. The combined assets under management now sit at $814.8 billion, a 3.0% increase for the year-to-date period.
Only eight ETFs made the ETF Billion Dollar Club by averaging more than $1 billion of dollar volume per day of trading for the month. ETFs averaging more than $100 million per day numbered just 61 in August while accounting for 89.1% of all trading activity.
The quantity of products on ETF Deathwatch (average daily dollar volume below $100,000 and more than six months on the market) increased 4.8% to 153.
|August 2010 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||940||106||1,046|
|Listed as of 12/31/2009||836||89||925|
|New Introductions for Month||8||8||16|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||2||0||2|
|Net Change for Month||+6||+8||+14|
|New Introductions YTD||129||17||146|
|Net Change YTD||+104||+17||+121|
|Assets Under Mgmt ($ billion)||803.7||11.1||814.8|
|% Change in Assets||-2.6%||+6.3%||-2.4%|
|Monthly $ Volume ($ billion)||1,309||16||1,325|
|% Change in Monthly $ Volume||-7.4%||-7.6%||-7.4%|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $1 Billion||8||0||8|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $100 Million||60||1||61|
|% on Deathwatch||12.1%||36.8%||14.6%|
Data sources: AUM from National Stock Exchange, prices and volume from Norgate Premium Data, fund counts and information compilation by Invest With An Edge.
New products launched in August (in chronological order):
- Schwab U.S. TIPS ETF (NYSEARCA:SCHP) (Schwab Introduces Three Commission-Free Bond ETFs)
- Schwab Short-Term U.S. Treasury ETF (NYSEARCA:SCHO)
- Schwab Intermediate-Term U.S. Treasury ETF (NYSEARCA:SCHR)
- WisdomTree Emerging Markets Local Debt Fund (ELD) (Emerging Markets Local Debt, Active Edition)
- United States Commodity Index Fund (NYSEARCA:USCI) (The Commodity ETF Evolves)
- iPath US Treasury Steepener ETN (NASDAQ:STPP) (STPP & FLAT: Yield Curve Strategies for the Masses)
- iPath US Treasury Flattener ETN (NASDAQ:FLAT)
- iPath US Treasury 2-year Bull ETN (NASDAQ:DTUL) (Barclays Launches Six ETNs for Custom Yield Curve Strategies)
- iPath US Treasury 2-year Bear ETN (NASDAQ:DTUS)
- iPath US Treasury 10-year Bull ETN (NASDAQ:DTYL)
- iPath US Treasury 10-year Bear ETN (NASDAQ:DTYS)
- iPath US Treasury Long Bond Bull ETN (NASDAQ:DLBL)
- iPath US Treasury Long Bond Bear ETN (NASDAQ:DLBS)
- Emerging Global Shares Indxx India Infrastructure ETF (NYSEARCA:INXX) (India Infrastructure ETF Now Available)
- Market Vectors India Small-Cap Index ETF (NYSEARCA:SCIF) (Van Eck Challenges Emerging Global Advisors for India Small Cap Dominance)
- Alerian MLP ETF (NYSEARCA:AMLP) (Beware of MLPs in ETF Wrappers)
Product closures/delistings in August:
- Grail RP Financials ETF (RFF) (Grail and RiverPark To Liquidate Two ETFs)
- Grail RP Technology ETF (RPQ)
Product changes in August:
- Claymore/Sabrient Stealth ETF (STH) became Claymore Wilshire Micro-Cap ETF (NYSEARCA:WMCR) (WMCR: Trying to Cheat Deathwatch)
Previous monthly statistics reports are available here.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, publisher, and affiliates: No positions in any of the securities mentioned. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.