Tips on the Top Free Online Dating Sites
Joining dating sites can cost a small fortune, up to $50/month! On the other hand, non-pay sites tend to attract far fewer (and less serious) members. Still, if you are of the opinion that finding your better half shouldn’t cost cold, hard cash, there are lots of great options out there. Jeff Cohen delineates the top five free online dating sites, to help you find your soul mate without paying a cent:
1. Plenty of Fish – This site bills itself as "100% Free, put away your credit card." You can search by gender, age range, state, city, or even by birthday. It has a few unique features, including member ratings (you can rate current members on a scale ranging from "fish again" to "great catch"); forums (you can connect with your fellow daters in a forum dedicated to dating and relationships); and you can view lots of funny videos related to dating.
2. Book of Matches - "100% Free. Matchmaking, Dating, and Personals,” this site offers two main ways to search for matches: By gender, and age. The unique features offered by Book of Matches include: hot members (you can rate members on a "sizzle/fizzle" scale and the most "sizzling" members are listed in the hot members section); testimonials (are included from current members along with their photos so you can see who made the review); and a special link to dating tips designed specifically for men.
3. Friend Finder – This is a free site for "friendship, dating, romance and more." Members can search for serious relationships or just a new friend (you can designate if you're searching for pen pals, activity partners, friendship only, short-term dating, long-term dating, or marriage). You can chat, IM and browse profiles for free. There is a nominal 25 cents per day fee to upgrade to a premium membership. Special features include ‘My Magazine’, an interactive online magazine with content submitted primarily by other members; and a blog, where members can create their own homepage with regular updates on their life events.
4. Dating Hall – This site offers free membership to search for "fun and friendship, romance, love, and marriage.” It provides quick and easy, one-page registration, customized profile with photo and unlimited contact to all Dating Hall members. There are seven main ways to search for matches: By gender, age ranges, countries, states, profiles with or without photos, type of relationship desired (marriage, short term relationship, occasional lover, platonic, or pen pal), and sexual preference. Unique features include: a secure messenger system, so you can contact potential mates without giving them your email contact information; dating resources, including links to affiliated dating sites for international dating, marriage agencies, ethnic, and alternative dating; and the ‘Adult Dating Hall’, for those in search of a more sexually oriented relationship.
5. Connecting Singles – This is the place to "meet by choice, not by chance.” The site offers three main ways to search for matches: By gender, age ranges, and countries. Unique features include: Global Dating (the site connects members to potential mates in the U.S., Canada, or Europe); Friends or Marriage (you can meet someone for romance, a serious relationship, or just a new friend); and you can read actual stories from people who found their true love on ConnectingSingles, via the site’s Testimonials section.