SA contributors highlight stocks to watch for unusual movement, their bias (long/short), and brief comments.
Stocks are listed alphabetically by symbol. Click on the contributor's name to read more articles by that author.
Discuss today's stocks and ask contributors questions in the comments.
Track how today's Stocks To Watch are performing here. To send in your own ideas for tomorrow's Stocks To Watch, email email@example.com before 6:00 AM ET Tuesday.
Advanced Micro Devices (NASDAQ:AMD) - short - Bill Maurer
- Company missed EPS by a penny last week.
- Stock fell on weak outlook, while Intel hit new multi-year high on strong report.
- Shares usually like to extend large falls for a couple of days.
Kate Spade & Co. (NYSE:KATE) - long - Antonio Carradinha (no position)
- With a brand from outlet centers it is aimed at higher market levels.
- KATE is a well-known brand that is threatening its peers in quality and marketing.
- Following a consolidation phase its share price is signaling that an uptrend is building up.
- Shares could not sustain rebound last week, closing Friday near week's low.
- Stock seems destined to retest 52-week low of $1.61.
NextEra Energy Partners (NYSE:NEP) - long - Don Dion
- July 21 marks the end of the 25-day quiet period on underwriter reports that began with the June 26 IPO of NEP.
- On July 22nd, NEP's strong underwriters, including BofA, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Barclays, and Credit Suisse, will likely attempt to push NEP's share price higher with positive research reports.
- NEP has made solid gains post-IPO, has a good yield, growing business, and smart, experienced management.
- We see NEP's quiet period expiration as another opportunity to get a piece of its success.
- Further details here.
Trinseo S.A. (NYSE:TSE) - long - Don Dion
- The 40-day SEC-enforced quiet period on underwriter analysis publications that began with the June 11 IPO of TSE will conclude on July 22.
- TSE's strong and numerous underwriters will attempt to boost TSE's already strong market performance even higher with a release of positive information into the market at this time.
- In anticipation of these reports, share prices often rise a few days prior to the event and return to normal levels two days afterward.
- Given TSE's powerful positions in several of its markets, we see the quiet period expiration as another chance to buy into this growing firm.
- Further details here.
Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) - long - Bill Maurer
- UBS said the possibility of a gigafactory announcement could boost the stock.
- Shares have recently pulled back.
- Huge short interest could lead to short squeeze.