New product introduction ran extremely slow most of November until a flurry of launches appeared on the last day of the month. Just eight products arrived throughout the first twenty-nine days before the last minute rush of 17 new arrivals on November 30. The 25 new products consisted of six ETFs and 19 ETNs. Two ETFs saw their last day of trading in November, putting the net increase at 23.
November’s activity pushed the number of new launches to over 200 so far in 2010, while closures climbed to 39. The month ended with a total of 1,091 ETPs (961 ETFs and 130 ETNs) listed for trading in US markets.
Trading activity picked up more than 8% from October’s pace with dollar volume exceeding $1.4 trillion for the month. With 21 trading days, this works out to more than $67 billion per day in ETP trading.
The number of ETFs in the Billion Dollar Club, those averaging more than one billion dollars in daily trading activity, increased from seven to ten this month. Products averaging more than $100 million per day came in at 66, an increase of three from October.
Assets in ETFs and ETNs increased less than 1% for the month and now sit at $947.0 billion, a 19.7% increase for the year-to-date period.
|November 2010 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||961||130||1,091|
|Listed as of 12/31/2009||836||89||925|
|New Introductions for Month||6||19||25|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||2||0||2|
|Net Change for Month||+4||+19||+23|
|New Introductions YTD||164||41||205|
|Net Change YTD||+125||+41||+166|
|Assets Under Mgmt ($ billion)||$933.6||$13.4||$947.0|
|% Change in Assets||+0.7%||+1.4%||+0.7%|
|Monthly $ Volume ($ billion)||$1,399||$17.8||$1,417|
|% Change in Monthly $ Volume||+8.4%||+19.5%||+8.5%|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $1 Billion||10||0||10|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $100 Million||65||1||66|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $10 Million||212||9||221|
|% on Deathwatch||11.2%||23.9%||12.7%|
Data sources: AUM from National Stock Exchange, daily prices and volume of individual ETPs from Norgate Premium Data, fund counts and all other information compiled by Invest With An Edge.
New products launched in November (in chronological order):
- PIMCO Broad U.S. Treasury Index Fund (TRSY)
- UBS E-TRACS Wells Fargo MLP Index ETN (MLPW)
- Vanguard Global ex-U.S. Real Estate ETF (VNQI)
- Global X Gold Explorers ETF (GLDX)
- Global X Uranium ETF (URA)
- Global X FTSE Norway 30 ETF (NORW)
- iShares MSCI Russia Capped Index Fund (ERUS)
- C-Tracks Citi Volatility Index Total Return ETN (CVOL)
- VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short-Term ETN (XIV)
- VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Medium-Term ETN (ZIV)
- VelocityShares VIX Short-Term ETN (VIIX)
- VelocityShares VIX Medium-Term ETN (VIIZ)
- VelocityShares Daily 2x VIX Short-Term ETN (TVIX)
- VelocityShares Daily 2x VIX Medium-Term ETN (TVIZ)
- iPath Long Extended S&P 500 TR Index ETN (SFLA)
- iPath Short Extended S&P 500 TR Index ETN (SFSA)
- iPath Long Extended Russell 1000 TR Index ETN (ROLA)
- iPath Short Extended Russell 1000 TR Index ETN (ROSA)
- iPath Long Extended Russell 2000 TR Index ETN (RTLA)
- iPath Short Extended Russell 2000 TR Index ETN (RTSA)
- iPath Long Enhanced MSCI EAFE Index ETN (MFLA)
- iPath Short Enhanced MSCI EAFE Index ETN (MFSA)
- iPath Long Enhanced MSCI Emerging Markets Index ETN (EMLB)
- iPath Short Enhanced MSCI Emerging Markets Index ETN (EMSA)
- iPath Long Enhanced S&P 500 VIX Mid-Term Futures ETN (VZZ)
Product closures/delistings in November:
- Direxion Daily 2-Year Treasury Bull 3x Shares (TWOL)
- Direxion Daily 2-Year Treasury Bear 3x Shares (TWOZ)
Product changes in November:
- iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) underwent a 1:4 reverse split on 11/09/10
Announced Product Changes for Coming Months:
- PowerShares closing 10 ETFs 12/14/10
Previous monthly ETF statistics reports are available here.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, publisher, and affiliates: No positions in any of the securities mentioned. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.