ETF Spotlight on PowerShares Dynamic Mid-Cap Growth (NYSEArca: PWJ), part of a weekly series.
Assets: $124.4 million
Objective: Tracks the Dynamic Mid-Cap Growth Intellidex. Companies are analyzed on four broad criteria: fundamental, valuation, timeliness and risk.
What You Should Know
- PWJ has been one of the top funds over the last three months, gaining 24%.
- There are 75 holdings in the fund, which charges an expense ratio of 0.66%.
- Mid-caps have a long record of outperformance. In time periods ranging from one to 10 years, mid-caps have outperformed large- and small-caps more than half the time. While past performance is not an indicator of what will happen in the future, it can serve as a guide.
- Mid-caps often participate in much of a market’s upside. Relative to large-caps, they’ve often grabbed more than 120% of the upside.
- Growth companies are those whose stocks are expected to grow faster than the market average.
- Mid-caps can be riskier than large-caps, but the potential for payoff is better.
The Latest News
- Mid-caps are hot right now: in the last six months, they’ve beaten out large-caps, which are up about 11% in that span. Mid-caps are up about 15%.
- The growth category is faring better than other styles; mid-cap growth is up 18.5% in the last six months; large-cap growth is up 14.6%. In this category, even small-caps are getting beat: they’re up 17.3%.
click to enlarge