The table below lists the top 10 foreign companies by market cap trading on the New York Stock Exchange:
|No.||Name||Ticker||Market Capitalization (in $ billions as of Jan 6, 2011)||Sector||Dividend Yield|
|1||BHP Billiton Limited||BHP||$247.40||Metal Mining||1.97%|
|2||PetroChina Company Limited||PTR||$239.80||Oil & Gas Operations||3.58%|
|3||Petroleo Brasileiro SA||PBR||$236.40||Oil & Gas - Integrated||0.40%|
|4||BHP Billiton plc||BBL||$216.10||Metal Mining||2.25%|
|5||Royal Dutch Shell plc||RDS.A||$205.80||Oil & Gas - Integrated||4.98%|
|6||China Mobile Ltd.||CHL||$199.30||Communications Services||3.65%|
|7||HSBC Holdings plc||HBC||$188.40||Banking||3.07%|
|9||BP plc||BP||$144.80||Oil & Gas - Integrated||N/A|
|10||Rio Tinto plc||RIO||$134.70||Metal Mining||1.22%|
- Eight out of the 10 companies are in the natural resources sector. This shows the growing importance of the commodity sector.
- The only foreign banking group in this list is the U.K.-based HSBC Holdings.
- Despite talks of going under (or) being taken over after the gulf oil spill disaster last year, BP plc not only survived intact but now has a market cap of $144.0 billion.
The table below lists the top 10 U.S. companies by market cap trading on the New York Stock Exchange:
|No.||Name||Ticker||Market Capitalization (in $ billions)||Sector & Industry||Dividend Yield|
|1||Exxon Mobil Corporation||XOM||$379.10||Oil & Gas - Integrated||2.35%|
|2||Berkshire Hathaway Inc.||BRK.A||$199.20||Insurance (Prop. & Casualty)||N/A|
|3||General Electric Company||GE||$197.60||Consumer Financial Services||3.01%|
|4||Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.||WMT||$192.20||Retail (Department & Discount)||2.21%|
|5||International Business Machines Corp.||IBM||$184.70||Computer Services||1.76%|
|6||The Procter & Gamble Company||PG||$183.60||Personal & Household Prods.||2.97%|
|7||Chevron Corporation||CVX||$182.50||Oil & Gas - Integrated||3.14%|
|8||JPMorgan Chase & Co.||JPM||$173.90||Banking||0.45%|
|9||Johnson & Johnson||JNJ||$173.60||Major Drugs||3.41%|
|10||AT&T Inc.||T||$172.30||Communications Services||5.76%|
- U.S. oil giant Exxon Mobil has the largest market cap on the NYSE.
- Telecom services provider AT&T pays a high dividend of 5.76%.
- The only bank in this list is JPMorgan Chase. JPM has a low dividend yield of just 0.45%.
- Among the many drug makers, Johnson & Johnson is a long-time highly valued company.
Note: Apple (AAPL) has a market cap of $306 billion, next only to Exxon Mobil but is not on the list above since Apple trades on the Nasdaq.
Disclosure: No positions