On World of Warcraft (WoW)
- Reached 1.5 million paying customers after a month.
- Now has 2.0+ million paid users.
- 450,000 PCUs and 260,000 ACUs.
- ARPU around RMB 0.36 ($0.04).
- Expect to open 5th server site in September.
- WoW appealing to gamers across all demographics -- even new gamers.
- Content pack likely in September or October 2005.
On the WoW Effect
- WoW start of a trend toward embrace of 3D games.
On Games in Pipeline
- Joyful Journey West -- 2D game for casual gamers -- in-house developed game -- in open beta.
- ZhiZhun -- 3D martial arts game.
- GE -- 3D MMORPG -- Users can control 3 characters at the same time.
On Joyful Journey West
- Commercial launch yet to be determined -- likely in Q4.
- Been developing game for 2 years.
- Proprietary game.
- Will target different demographic groups through MMORPG, casual games etc.
On PC Environment
- Noticing that more players are located in wealthier areas and especially in 1st tier cities.
- Internet cafes are increasingly upgrading PCs in order to support WoW.
On R&D Costs
- Not expected to increase substantially in the course of the year.
Not subscribed to this blog? You can get updated headlines for free by adding it to your My Yahoo page. Just log into your My Yahoo page, then return to this blog and click on the "+ My Y!" button on the top right of your screen.