What do the top Hedge Fund and Mutual Fund Gurus like in the Medical Equipment Industry? This article, the twenty-ninth in a series, identifies through a research of the latest available institutional 13-F filings the Gurus that are most invested in the Medical Equipment Industry, and the specific stocks within that Industry that they prefer to hold in their portfolios. Please note that I have also included in this group Medical Device, Medical Instrument, Medical Products and Medical Supplies Companies.
- Diversified healthcare companies such as Cardinal Health, Inc. (NYSE:CAH), a distributor of pharmaceutical and medical products; operator of medical services facilities, and a developer medical and surgical products including disposable kits, drapes, gowns and other products; Becton Dickinson & Co (NYSE:BDX), a developer of medical supplies, devices, instrument systems, and reagents used by healthcare institutions; McKesson Corp. (NYSE:MCK), a provider of ethical drugs, health and beauty care products and medical supplies and equipment to pharmacies and hospitals.
- Beckman Coulter Inc. (NYSE:BEC), a developer of biomedical testing systems and supplies for use in medical research, clinical trials and drug discovery, currently under acquisition by Danaher Corp. (NYSE:DHR), a Conglomerate including manufacturing of water treatment and vapor recovery systems, fuel dispensers, digital imaging systems and test products.
- Baxter International Inc. (NYSE:BAX), a developer of medical devices and pharmaceuticals to treat hemophilia, immune disorder and infectious diseases.
- Hologic Inc. (NASDAQ:HOLX), a developer of imaging systems and diagnostic and surgical products focused on the healthcare needs of women.
- Orthopedic implants and Surgical instruments companies Stryker Corp. (NYSE:SYK), a developer of orthopedic implants, surgical instruments, imaging systems and operating room and emergency medical equipment; and Zimmer Holdings Inc. (NYSE:ZMH), a developer of orthopedic and dental reconstructive implants, trauma products and related surgical products.
- Illumina Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN), a developer of integrated systems for the large scale analysis of genetic variation and biological function.
- Bard CR Inc. (NYSE:BCR), a developer of medical, surgical, diagnostic and patient care devices for use in hospitals and extended care facilities.
- Integra Lifesciences Holdings (NASDAQ:IART), a developer of medical devices, implants, and biomaterials used in neurosurgery, extremity reconstructions and general surgery.
- Life Technologies Corp. (NASDAQ:LIFE), a developer of research tools and reagents to improve gene expression, analysis and cloning techniques.
- Carefusion Corp. (NYSE:CFN), a developer of systems that helps healthcare providers prevent medication errors, reduce infections, and manage medications.
- Intuitive Surgical (NASDAQ:ISRG), a developer of advanced surgical system designed to improve open surgery and minimally invasive surgery.
- Greatbatch Inc. (NYSE:GB), a developer of power sources and components for implantable medical devices such as pacemakers and neurostimulators.
- Symmetry Medical Inc. (NYSE:SMA), a developer of implants and related products for the dental, orthopedic, osteobiologic and endoscopic device markets.
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions (NASDAQ:MDRX), a provider of clinical, connectivity and patient information software applications for healthcare providers.
- Chinese Medical Equipment companies Mindray Medical International ADS (NYSE:MR), a Chinese developer of patient monitoring, life support and in-vitro diagnostic products and medical imaging systems; and China Kanghui Holdings ADS (KH), a Chinese developer of proprietary orthopedic implants and associated instruments for domestic and emerging markets.
Fund and Guru
Type of Fund
Assets Under Management
Percent Equity Portfolio invested in Equities of Medical Equipment and Supplies Companies
Major Medical Equipment and Supplies Company positions in Portfolio
Greenlight Capital Inc. (David Einhorn)
Hedge Fund - Shareholder Activist
$ 5 billion
CAH, CFN, BDX
Glenview Capital (Larry Robbins)
Hedge Fund – Multi-strategy
$ 6.4 billion
LIFE, MCK, BAX
Hussman Econometrics Advisors, Inc. (John Hussman)
$ 6.3 billion
LIFE, ILMN, BCR, SYK, IART, ISRG
Eton Park (Eric Mindich)
Hedge Fund - Multi-Strategy
$ 8.1 billion
ZMH, BAX, MR, BEC (under acquisition by DHR)
Joho Capital LLC (Robert Karr)
Hedge Fund - Long/Short
$ 600 million
Tremblant Capital Group (Brett Barakett)
$ 1.9 billion
HOLX, GB, SMA, MDRX
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.
Disclaimer: Material presented here is for informational purposes only. Nothing in this article should be taken as a solicitation to purchase or sell securities. Before buying or selling any stock you should do your own research and reach your own conclusion. Further, these are my opinions and I may be wrong. I may have positions in securities mentioned in this article. You should take this into consideration before acting on any advice given in this article. If this makes you uncomfortable, then do not listen to my thoughts and opinions. The contents of this article do not take into consideration your individual investment objectives so consult with your own financial adviser before making an investment decision. Investing includes certain risks including loss of principal.