New product introductions kept flowing in June, though behind the pace of recent months, with the listing of 31 new ETFs and three new ETNs. This is the lowest monthly figure since February. There were 38 launches in March, 43 in April, and 39 in May. No ETPs were taken off the market, so total listings now stand at 1,288 (1,120 ETFs and 168 ETNs).
The number of actively-managed ETFs jumped to 40 after staying at 34 for a number of months. The increase was the result of two Guggenheim funds being converted from passive to active on June 1 and four new ETFS from AdvisorShares.
Trading activity edged upward in June, with total ETP dollar volume increasing 7.4% to $1.67 trillion. The billion dollar club, those ETFs averaging more than $1 billion in daily trading activity, shrank from11 to nine. Those nine still accounted for more than 60% of all ETP dollars traded. SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) alone was more than 36% of all ETP trading activity.
Products with an average daily dollar volume greater than $100 million went from 67 to 74, representing nearly 91% of all dollars traded. ETPs with an average above $10 million of trading per day decreased from 244 to 226 yet still grabbed 98% of ETP dollars traded.
Assets under management were $1.10 trillion at the end of June, down -1.4% for the month and up +8.8% year-to-date.
|June 2011 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||1,120||168||1,288|
|Listed as of 12/31/2010||967||132||1,099|
|New Introductions for Month||31||3||34|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||0||0||0|
|Net Change for Month||+31||+3||+34|
|New Introductions YTD||153||37||190|
|Net Change YTD||+153||+36||+189|
|Assets Under Mgmt ($ billion)||$1,083||$15.7||$1,098|
|% Change in Assets||-1.4%||-5.4%||-1.4%|
|Monthly $ Volume ($ billion)||$1,641||$26.5||$1,667|
|% Change in Monthly $ Volume||+7.3%||+20.8%||+7.4%|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $1 Billion||9||0||9|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $100 Million||73||1||74|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $10 Million||219||9||226|
Data sources: AUM from National Stock Exchange, daily prices and volume of individual ETPs from Norgate Premium Data, fund counts and all other information compiled by Invest With An Edge.
New products launched in June (in chronological order), along with links to my initial analysis of each:
- Global X Farming ETF (BARN)
- IQ Japan Mid Cap ETF (RSUN)
- Guggenheim ABC High Dividend ETF (ABCS)
- db-X MSCI EAFE Currency-Hedged Equity Fund (DBEF)
- db-X MSCI Emerging Markets Currency-Hedged Equity Fund (DBEM)
- db-X MSCI Brazil Currency-Hedged Equity Fund (DBBR)
- db-X MSCI Canada Currency-Hedged Equity Fund (DBCN)
- db-X MSCI Japan Currency-Hedged Equity Fund (DBJP)
- Global X SuperDividend ETF (SDIV)
- IQ US Real Estate Small Cap ETF (ROOF)
- Direxion Daily Basic Materials Bull 3x Shares (MATL)
- Direxion Daily Basic Materials Bear 3x Shares (MATS)
- Direxion Daily Healthcare Bull 3x Shares (CURE)
- Direxion Daily Healthcare Bear 3x Shares (SICK)
- Direxion Daily Total Market Bear 1x Shares (TOTS)
- PowerShares Fundamental Pure Large Growth Portfolio (PXLG)
- PowerShares Fundamental Pure Large Value Portfolio (PXLV)
- UBS ETRACS Natural Gas Futures Contango ETN (GASZ)
- UBS ETRACS Oil Futures Contango ETN (OILZ)
- iShares Floating Rate Note Fund (FLOT)
- PIMCO 0-5 Year High Yield Corporate Bond Index Fund (HYS)
- AdvisorShares Madrona Forward Domestic ETF (FWDD)
- AdvisorShares Madrona Forward International ETF (FWDI)
- AdvisorShares Madrona Forward Global Bond (FWDB)
- AdvisorShares Meidell Tactical Advantage ETF (MATH)
- EGShares Basic Materials GEMS ETF (LGEM)
- EGShares Consumer Goods GEMS ETF (GGEM)
- EGShares Consumer Services GEMS ETF (VGEM)
- EGShares Health Care GEMS ETF (HGEM)
- EGShares Industrials GEMS ETF (IGEM)
- EGShares Technology GEMS ETF (QGEM)
- EGShares Telecom GEMS ETF (TGEM)
- EGShares Utilities GEMS ETF (UGEM)
- Morgan Stanley S&P 500 Crude Oil ETN (BARL)
Product closures/delistings in June:
Product changes in June:
- Guggenheim executed extreme-makeovers on two Claymore ETFs effective 6/1/11 changing the names, tickers, and management styles. Claymore U.S. Capital Markets Bond ETF changed to Guggenheim Enhanced Core Bond ETF (GIY) and Claymore U.S. Capital Markets Micro-Term Fixed Income ETF became Guggenheim Enhanced Ultra-Short Bond (GSY).
- Effective 6/15/11: Direxion Daily China Bull 3x Shares changed its ticker from CZM to YINN and Direxion Daily China Bear 3x Shares changed its ticker from CZI to YANG.
- PowerShares changed the name, indexes and ticker symbols for seven members of its suite of Dynamic Style Box ETFs to FTSE RAFI Fundamental Pure Style Box ETFs effective 6/16/11.
- Deutsche Bank changed the names of the five TDX Independence ETFs to db-X Target Date ETFs effective 6/17/11.
- On 6/20/11, WisdomTree made changes to seven of its funds:
- WisdomTree International Real Estate Fund became WisdomTree Global ex-U.S. Real Estate Fund (DRW).
- WisdomTree International Utilities Sector Fund became WisdomTree Global ex-U.S. Utility Fund (DBU).
- WisdomTree International Basic Materials Sector Fund became WisdomTree Commodity Country Equity Fund (CCXE).
- WisdomTree International Energy Sector Fund became WisdomTree Global Natural Resources Fund (GNAT).
- WisdomTree Pacific ex-Japan Total Dividend Fund became WisdomTree Asia Pacific ex-Japan Fund (AXJL).
- WisdomTree Pacific ex-Japan Equity Income Fund became WisdomTree Australia Dividend Fund (AUSE).
- WisdomTree World ex-U.S. Growth Fund became WisdomTree Global ex-U.S. Growth Fund (DNL).
- VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short Term ETN (XIV) had a 10-for-1 split and VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Medium Term ETN (ZIV) had an 8-for-1 split effective 6/27/11.
Announced Product Changes for Coming Months:
- iPath Long Enhanced S&P 500 VIX Mid-Term Futures ETN (VZZ) hit an early termination trigger on July 1 by trading below $10 and will be redeemed on July 11, 2011. The last day of listed trading for VZZ has not been announced.
- On July 1, 2011, Global X announced a monthly distribution plan for Global X Canadian Preferred ETF (CNPF) and Global X Super Dividend ETF (SDIV).
- FaithShares to close four ETFs in July with last day of trading July 15.
- PowerShares Active AlphaQ (PQY) and PowerShares Active Alpha Multi-Cap (PQZ) with last day of trading on September 30, 2011.
Previous monthly ETF statistics reports are available here.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, publisher and affiliates: No positions in any of the securities mentioned. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.