Legendary corporate raider Carl Icahn recently announced that he will be returning $1.76 Billion back to his investors. He will continue investing his own money. He is an excellent insider to imitate because his moves are usually bigger than an average hedge fund and he has to report them more promptly on 13D forms because he usually takes activist positions.
Here are Carl Icahn’s top 10 favorite holdings at the end of March (Market data is sourced from Finviz):
1. MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS INC (NYSE:MSI): Motorola’s spinoff was completed on January 4th and MOT was split into Motorola Solutions and Motorola Mobility (MMI). Motorola Solutions provides business- and mission-critical communication products and services worldwide. MSI recently traded at $42.3 and has a 2.13% dividend yield. MSI lost 20.01% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $14.01 billion and P/E ratio of 27.1. Icahn had $1.37 billion invested in MSI shares. According to Business Wire, on July 14 MSI announced it is expanding its current services offering to help enterprises and government agencies maximize the benefits of their business- and mission-critical communications assets.
2. BIOGEN IDEC INC (NASDAQ:BIIB): Biogen Idec Inc. is a biotechnology company operating worldwide. BIIB recently traded at $93.44 and gained 61.6% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $22.45 billion and P/E ratio of 21. Icahn had $944 million invested in BIIB shares. On July 26 BIIB announced its second quarter 2011 financial results. BIIB’s second quarter revenues were $1.2 billion, constant compared to the second quarter of 2010. Net income for the second quarter was $288 million, a decrease of 2% from the second quarter of previous year. Jim Simons’ Renaissance and Cliff Asness’ AQR are also among the hedge funds that are bullish about Biogen (See Jim Simons’ favorite stock picks).
3. CLOROX CO DEL (NYSE:CLX): Clorox Co. was the largest new purchase during the first quarter. The Clorox Company provides consumer products worldwide. CLX recently traded at $66.72 and has a 3.7% dividend yield. CLX gained 6.94% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $8.64 billion and P/E ratio of 34.3. Icahn had $701 million invested in CLX shares. Two weeks ago, Icahn offered to take the company private as he believes Procter & Gamble (PG), Unilever (UL), Colgate-Palmolive, etc. may buy the company for more than $100 per share. Icahn Capital has the largest position in the company among 300+ hedge funds we are tracking. John Rogers’ Ariel Investments and Ken Griffin’s Citadel also have relatively small positions in CLX (See Ken Griffin’s favorite stocks).
4. MOTOROLA MOBILITY HLDGS INC (NYSE:MMI): Motorola Mobility Holdings provides technologies, products, and services for mobile and wire line digital applications. MMI recently traded at $22.61. The stock has a market cap of $6.81 billion and P/E ratio of 153.9. Icahn had $654 million invested in MMI shares.
5. LIONS GATE ENTMNT CORP (NYSE:LGF): Lions Gate Entertainment is an entertainment company providing motion picture production and distribution. LGF recently traded at $6.75 and gained 3.24% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $932 million. Icahn had $223 million invested in LGF shares.
6. MENTOR GRAPHICS CORP (NASDAQ:MENT): Mentor Graphics Corporation supplies electronic design automation systems worldwide. MENT recently traded at $9.58 and lost 2.34% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $1.08 billion and P/E ratio of 22.7. Icahn had $189 million invested in MENT shares.
7. HAIN CELESTIAL GROUP INC (NASDAQ:HAIN): The Hain Celestial Group provides natural and organic food and personal care products worldwide. HAIN recently traded at $29.57 and gained 42.37% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $1.28 billion and P/E ratio of 26.6. Icahn had $184 million invested in HAIN shares.
8. AMYLIN PHARMACEUTICALS INC (AMLN): Amylin Pharmaceuticals is a biopharmaceutical company. AMLN recently traded at $10.64 and lost 47.86% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $1.48 billion. Icahn had $164 million invested in AMLN shares.
9. TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE SOFTWAR (NASDAQ:TTWO): Take-Two Interactive Software provides interactive entertainment software, hardware, and accessories worldwide. TTWO recently traded at $12.26 and gained 19.14% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $1.06 billion and P/E ratio of 21.2. Icahn had $151 million invested in TTWO shares.
10. REGENERON PHARMACEUTICALS (NASDAQ:REGN): Regeneron Pharmaceuticals is a biopharmaceutical company operating in the United States. REGN recently traded at $46.89 and gained 88.37% during the past 12 months. The stock has a market cap of $4.37 billion. Icahn had $110 million invested in REGN shares. Seth Klarman’s Baupost also has REGN in its portfolio.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.