Most retailers' February sales numbers came out this morning:
- WalMart Inc. February same-store sales were up 0.9%, vs. analyst estimates of 1.5%. Total sales rose 8.1% to $26.8b. It said housewares and apparel sales remain weak.
- Costco Wholesale Corp. said February same-store sales were up 4%, vs. consensus estimates of 5.1%. Total sales were up 9% to $4.22b.
- Gap Inc. same-store sales fell 4%, vs. analyst estimates of -4.6%. Total sales dropped 5% to $910m. The company said results at Gap and Old Navy stores continue to challenge.
- Target Corp. same-store sales were up 5.7%, vs. consensus estimates of 5.1%. Total sales rose 10.7% to $4.13b.
- Limited Brands Inc. February sales at stores open at least one year was up 3%, vs. estimates of a 4% rise. Net sales climbed from $636m to $730m.
- McDonald's Corp. total same-store sales rose 5.7% (U.S. 3.1% and Europe 5.9%).
- Abercrombie & Fitch Co. same-store sales fell 6%, vs. estimates of 2.3%. Net sales were up 7% to $207m.
- Federated Department Stores Inc. same-store sales climbed 1.2%, vs. consensus estimates of 2.8%. Total sales were flat at $1.8b. The store forecasted March/April same-store sales gains of 2.5-4%.
- J.C. Penney Company Inc. same-store sales fell 0.2%, vs. analyst estimates of a 0.5% fall. Total sales rose 1.6%. The company said it expects a sharp rise in March sales.
- Kohl's Corp. same-store sales were up 4.4%, vs. estimates of a 2.9% gain.
- TJX Companies Inc. sales at stores open at least a year rose 2%, vs. analyst estimates of 2.4%. Total sales rose 6% to $1.2b. It said harsh winter weather cooled sales in some regions.
- Pacific Sunwear of California Inc. said sales at stores open at least one year fell 5.7%, vs. analyst estimates of -3.7%. Total sales rose 1.2% to $88.7 million.
- Cache Inc. same-store sales were up 1% vs. estimates of 4.6%. Total sales fell 0.5% to $19.9m.
- Bebe Stores Inc. same-store sales fell 2.2% (the company said the line wasn't "sexy" enough) vs. analyst estimates of +2.2%. Total sales rose 7% to $43m.
- Nordstrom Inc. same-store sales rose 9.1%. Total sales were up 9.5% to $547m.
- Pier 1 Imports Inc. said February sales at stores open at least one year fell 8.4% vs. analyst estimates of -4.4%. Total sales were up 14.3% to $120.5m.
- Claire's Stores Inc. sales at stores open at least a year rose 1% vs. estimates of 2.1%. Total sales rose 9% to $98.9m.
- Stein Mart Inc. said its same-store sales fell 1.9%, vs. analyst estimates of a 3% gain. Total sales rose 7.3% to $104.3m.
- Wilsons The Leather Experts Inc. posted a 25% drop in same-store sales, vs. -7.5% estimates.
- Saks Inc. said yesterday comparable-store sales surged 25%, vs. estimates of 6.4%.
- American Eagle Outfitters Inc. said yesterday same-store sales rose 6%, vs. estimates of 8.2%.
- Sharper Image Corp. said yesterday same-store sales fell 24%, its 28th straight month in decline.
- Dillard's Inc. said its February same-store sales fell 9%, vs. estimates of a 1.2% drop.
- Aeropostale Inc. same-store sales rose 2.3%, vs. estimates of 2.2%. Total sales rose 12% to $75.5m.
- Bon-Ton Stores Inc. February sales tripled and same-store sales rose 14.6%, vs. estimates of a 2% drop.
- PriceSmart Inc. same-store sales jumped 21%. Total sales were also up 21% to $63.3m.
- Christopher & Banks Corp. sales at stores open at least one year fell 13%, vs. estimates of a 3.6% drop. Total sales climbed 21% to $35m.
- Cato Corp. same-store sales were flat, in-line with analyst estimates.
- Rite Aid Corp. same-store sales gained 2.2%, vs. estimates of 3.3%.
- Dollar General Corp. same-store sales rose 4.9%, vs. analyst estimates of 4.6%. Total sales went from $645m to $696m.
- Ross Stores Inc. said January sales at stores open at least a year rose 2%, vs. estimates of 1.8%. Total sales increased 38% to $399m.
Sources: Wall Street Journal, MarketWatch I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII
Commentary: Retailers Post January Same Store Sales • Are Retail Sales Good For the Economy? • An Optimistic Outlook On Consumer Spending
Stocks/ETFs to watch: Pacific Sunwear of California Inc. (PSUN), Cache Inc. (CACH), bebe stores inc. (BEBE), Nordstrom Inc. (JWN), Pier 1 Imports Inc. (PIR), Claire's Stores Inc. (CLE), Limited Brands Inc. (LTD), Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT), Costco Wholesale Corp. (COST), Stein Mart Inc. (SMRT), Wilsons The Leather Experts Inc. (WLSN), Saks Inc. (SKS), American Eagle Outfitters Inc. (AEOS), Sharper Image Corp. (SHRP), J.C. Penney Company Inc. (JCP), Federated Department Stores Inc. (FD), Dillard's Inc. (DDS), Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF), Aeropostale Inc. (ARO), McDonald's Corp. (MCD), Bon-Ton Stores Inc. (BONT), PriceSmart Inc. (PSMT), Christopher & Banks Corp. (CBK), Cato Corp. (CTR), Rite Aid Corp. (RAD), Target Corp. (TGT), TJX Companies Inc. (TJX), Kohl's Corp. (KSS), Dollar General Corp. (DG), Ross Stores Inc. (ROST)
Seeking Alpha's news briefs are combined into a pre-market summary called Wall Street Breakfast. Get Wall Street Breakfast by email -- it's free and takes only seconds to sign up.