One bullish technical indicator is the “golden cross,” where a stock’s 50-day moving average crosses above its 200-day MA. This signals momentum to the upside.
We ran a screen on dividend stocks for those exhibiting this bullish signal.
Interactive Chart: Press Play to compare changes in analyst ratings over the last two years for the six stocks mentioned below. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
We also created a price-weighted index of the stocks mentioned below, and monitored the performance of the list relative to the S&P 500 index over the last month. To access a complete analysis of this list's recent performance, click here.
Click to enlarge
Do you think these stocks will climb higher? Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis.
List sorted by dividend yield.
1. C&F Financial Corp. (NASDAQ:CFFI): Operates as the holding company for Citizens and Farmers Bank that provides various banking and related financial services to individuals and businesses. Market cap of $66.98M. Dividend yield at 4.67%, payout ratio at 31.55%. SMA50 at $21.62, SMA200 at $21.53 (current price at $21.70). It has been a rough couple of days for the stock, losing 6.96% over the last week.
2. Merchants Bancshares Inc. (NASDAQ:MBVT): Operates as the bank holding company for The Merchants Bank that provides commercial banking products and services in Vermont. Market cap of $169.06M. Dividend yield at 4.12%, payout ratio at 47.76%. SMA50 at $26.02, SMA200 at $25.90 (current price at $27.00). The stock has gained 20.8% over the last year.
3. Comtech Telecommunications Corp. (NASDAQ:CMTL): Designs and produces a wide range of telecom systems and services. Market cap of $731.72M. Dividend yield at 3.56%, payout ratio at 28.98%. SMA50 at $27.34, SMA200 at $27.29 (current price at $28.06). The stock has had a good month, gaining 15.73%.
4. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT): Develops, licenses and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. Market cap of $217.84B. Dividend yield at 2.46%, payout ratio at 23.33%. SMA50 at $25.97, SMA200 at $25.89 (current price at $26.47). Might be undervalued at current levels, with a PEG ratio at 0.86, and P/FCF ratio at 11.19. The stock has gained 11.4% over the last year.
5. Newmont Mining Corp. (NYSE:NEM): Engages in the acquisition, exploration and production of gold and copper properties. Market cap of $34.68B. Dividend yield at 1.88%, payout ratio at 13.30%. SMA50 at $57.66, SMA200 at $56.24 (current price at $66.23). Exhibiting strong upside momentum - currently trading 9.26% above its SMA20, 14.86% above its SMA50, and 17.77% above its SMA200. The stock has had a good month, gaining 18.43%.
6. MidWest One Financial Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:MOFG): Operates as the holding company for MidWestOne Bank that provides various banking product and services. Market cap of $125.14M. Dividend yield at 1.66%, payout ratio at 15.99%. SMA50 at $14.51, SMA200 at $14.23 (current price at $14.52). The stock has gained 12.32% over the last year.
*Data sourced from Finviz.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.