MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR) is due with its Q3 results in this evening's extended-hours trading. The Thomson Reuters mean analyst estimate is for earnings of $0.12 per share on $785 million in revenue.
In the data we have collected, the stock is mixed, adding to its after hours direction between the sessions in 11 of 23 quarters.
Looking deeper into the performance data, WFR has recorded an earnings-driven after hours gain in 12 quarters we've tracked, reversing direction or narrowing its gains in next-day regular session trade in nine of those events, or 75% of the time. On the downside, WFR has posted an earnings-driven after hours decline in 11 quarters, adding to its negative trade in follow-on regular session action in seven quarters, or 64% of the time.
Here's the history:
- On Aug. 3, 2011, WFR gained 1.7% in after hours trading on better-than-expected Q2 results and in-line guidance. The stock lost its upside the next day and headed deep in the red, closing the Aug. 4 regular session down 13.8%.
- On May 4, 2011, WFR advanced 4.7% in evening trading after beating Q1 sales estimates, missing on earnings, and setting fiscal year guidance mostly above the Street view. The stock lost its upside the following day, closing the May 5 regular session down 2.4%.
- On Feb. 1, 2011, WFR gained 4.2% in after-hours trading after beating Q4 expectations and setting its guidance mostly above the Street view. The stock surged even higher the next day, advancing 15.4% by the close on Feb. 2.
- On Nov. 1, 2010, WFR tumbled 10.4% in after-hours trading after missing Q3 EPS estimates. The stock cut its downside sharply the next day, closing the Nov. 2 regular session down 2.9%.
- On July 29, 2010, WFR declined 6.9% in evening trading after missing on Q2 revenue. The stock headed deeper south the following day, ending the July 30 regular session off 15.1%.
- On April 29, 2010, WFR shed 6.5% in evening trading after beating revenue estimates, posting a loss, and setting full year revenue guidance at the high end of previous guidance. The stock fell further the following day, closing the April 30 regular session down 18.6%.
- On Feb. 3, 2010, WFR declined 2.8% in after-hours trading after beating Q4 sales expectations, posting a loss, and setting in-line to higher guidance. The stock continued heading lower the following day, closing the Feb. 4 regular session down 14.9%.
- On Oct. 22, 2009, the stock fell 1.8% during extended-hours trading after a Q3 sales beat and revenue guidance in a wide range. Shares plunged a deeper 10.1% the next day.
- On July 23, 2009, the stock fell 1.7% after a Q2 beat and revenue guidance above the Street view. Shares plunged 10.2% the following day.
- On April 23, 2009, WFR declined 3.6% in after-hours trading after missing on sales but beating earnings expectations. The stock reversed course the following day, rising 5.1% in the April 24 regular session.
- On Jan. 22, 2009, the stock fell 10.6% after reporting a Q4 beat but guiding for a Q1 revenue decline. Shares rebounded to gain 10.8% the next day.
- On Oct. 23, 2008, WFR advanced 6.8% in after-hours trading despite coming in shy of earnings expectations and setting guidance below Street estimates. It cut back that gain just a bit the following day, ending the Oct. 24 regular session up 5.5%.
- On July 23, 2008, the stock tanked 25.7% in evening trading after the company missed with Q2 results and offered mixed guidance. The loss narrowed slightly, to 20% the next day.
- On April 24, 2008, WFR declined 3.1% after beating on sales but missing by a penny on earnings. The stock tumbled deeper in the red in the following regular session, losing 6.4% by the close on April 25.
- On Jan. 24, 2008, WFR advanced 5.1% in evening trading after coming in with earnings ahead of estimates and guiding mostly in-line to better. WFR lost most of its upside the following day, closing the Jan. 25 regular session with a mere 0.7% rise.
- On Oct. 25, 2007, WFR jumped 9.9% in after-hours trading after beating earnings expectations and guiding in line with estimates. It soared higher the next day, advancing 19.8% in the Oct. 26 regular session.
- On July 25, 2007, WFR gained 6.4% in the evening hours after the company reported ahead of the Street with earnings and guidance. The gain was trimmed to 5.7% by close of trading the next day.
- On April 26, 2007, the stock tumbled 10.7% in the evening hours following a Q1 sales miss. The loss fattened to 14.3% the next day.
- On Jan. 25, 2007, WFR jumped 5.9% in evening trading after blowing past Q4 estimates and offering strong guidance. The shares soared the following day, ending the regular session up 19.7%.
- On Oct. 26, 2006, WFR inched up 0.5% in night activity despite topping Q3 estimates and forecasting Q4 sales to be in line to above Street views. Shares continued to slide the next day, closing the regular session down 7.6%.
- On July 26, 2006, WFR climbed 9.7% in after hours when the company topped Q2 estimates and guided for a stronger-than-expected full year result. The shares, though, failed to hold their gains and closed the next day's regular session down 2.5%.
- On April 26, 2006, WFR gained 5.6% in evening trading after topping Q1 expectations. The shares gave back some gains and closed the next day session up 2.8%.
- On January 26, 2006, WFR jumped 7.5% in night trading after beating Q4 EPS estimates and forecasting Q1 sales above expectations. The shares eased back slightly and closed the regular session the next day up 6.3%.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.