Synopsys (NASDAQ:SNPS) is due with its Q4 results in the extended hours this evening. The Thomson Reuters mean analyst estimate is for earnings of $0.45 per share on $390 million in revenue.
SNPS, over the long term, has widened its share movement 15 times and narrowed 14 times.
Looking deeper into the performance data, SNPS has recorded an earning-driven after hours gain in 13 of the quarters tracked in our database, adding to its gains in next-day action in seven of those events, or 54% of the time. On the downside, SNPS has recorded an earnings-driven after hours decline in 16 quarters, reversing direction or narrowing its negative trade the following day in eight events, or 50% of the time. In other words, longs catch a slim advantage in trading the issue post-earnings tonight.
- On Aug. 17, 2011, SNPS gained 3.1% in evening trading after beating Q3 estimates and setting Q4 guidance above the Street view. The advance narrowed the next day as the stock close the Aug. 18 regular session up 1.1%.
- On May 18, 2011, SNPS declined 1.7% in after-hours trading after reporting mixed results and guidance. The stock headed deeper south the following day, closing the May 19 regular session off 3.3%.
- On Feb. 16, 2011, SNPS declined 1.8% in after-hours trading after reporting mixed Q1 results and setting its Q2 view above Street estimates. The stock ended the Feb. 17 regular session with a narrower downside, off 1.6%.
- On Dec. 1, 2010, SNPS slid 2% in evening trading after posting mixed results and guidance. The stock edged slightly lower the next day, closing the Dec. 2 regular session down 2.5%.
- On Aug. 18, 2010, SNPS gained 1.4% in evening trading after beating Q3 expectations and setting guidance that straddled the Street view. The stock firmed higher the next day, closing the Aug. 19 regular session up 3.5%.
- On May 19, 2010, the stock ended evening trading little changed after a quarterly beat and mixed guidance. The stock fell 3.4% the next day.
- On Feb. 17, 2010, SNPS ended the after-hours session flat after topping Q1 estimates and issuing in line to above Street guidance. Shares, though, slipped 1.4% in the next day's regular session.
- On Dec. 2, 2009, the stock fell 8.3% after beating with EPS but guiding mostly below the Street. Shares dropped a slimmer 6.2% the next day.
- On Aug. 19, 2009, SNPS declined 2.5% in after-hours trading after beating quarterly expectations but setting its guidance mostly below the Street view. The stock reversed direction and turned higher the following day, ending the Aug. 20 regular session up 1.4%.
- On May 20, 2009, SNPS declined 5.1% in after-hours trading after meeting sales expectations and beating on earnings. The stock headed deeper in the red the following day, losing 10.1% in the May 21 regular session.
- On Feb. 18, 2009, SNPS advanced 2.9% in evening action following better-than-expected Q1 results and guidance that straddled the Street view. The stock firmed higher the following day, ending the Feb. 19 regular session up 7.5%.
- On Dec. 3, 2008, the stock rose 6.7% during evening trading after a Q4 beat and guidance that was in line to above Street expectations. Shares jumped 11.5% the next day.
- On Aug. 20, 2008, SNPS declined 3.7% in evening trading after beating Q3 expectations and offering mixed guidance. It added to its downside the next day, losing 11.6% in the Aug. 21 regular session.
- On May 21, 2008, SNPS declined 2% in evening trading after beating on Q2 and setting its guidance in line to better than expectations. It rebounded sharply the next day, rising 4.7% by the close on May 22.
- On Feb. 20, 2008, the stock gained 6.1% during evening trading after a Q1 beat and guiding mostly above expectations. The gain was pared to 2.1% the next day.
- On Dec. 6, 2007, SNPS advanced 2.3% in after-hours trading after beating estimates and guiding in line. The stock continued heading higher on Dec. 7, ending the regular session up 9.2%.
- On Aug. 22, 2007, SNPS fell 1.2% in evening trading despite beating with Q3 and guiding for Q4 in line. The stock rebounded to gain 4.7%.
- On May 23, 2007, the stock fell 4.6% in the evening hours after beating with Q2 though offering mixed guidance. The loss widened to 10.2% the next day.
- On Feb. 21, 2007, the stock fell 2.6% in the evening hours after the company topped Q1 expectations but offered mixed guidance. The loss was trimmed just slightly to a decline of 2.5% the next day.
- On November 29, 2006, SNPS jumped 12.7% in night trading after beating Q4 estimates and guiding higher. Shares, though, gave back some gains, closing the next day up 9.9%.
- On Aug. 16, 2006, shares fell 1.7% in the evening hours after the company beat with Q3 results but set mixed guidance that disappointed the Street. The loss expanded to 2.6% the next day.
- On May 17, 2006, the stock rose 4.3% in the evening hours after the company reported ahead with Q2 results and guided mostly in line. The gain was trimmed to 1.5% the next day.
- On February 15, 2006, SNPS rose 3.4% in night trading after beating Q1 expectations. The shares gave up some of their gains the next day, ending the regular session up 2.7%.
- On Nov. 30, 2005, SNPS edged up 1.4% in after-hours trading after the company reported results in line with expectations but also set its Q1 view above the then-current estimates. The stock recorded heftier buy action on Dec. 1, advancing 4.3% by the closing bell.
- On Aug. 17, 2005, SNPS advanced 4.3% in after-hours trading after the company beat expectations and guided in-line to higher for the full year. It firmed even higher on Aug. 18, jumping 8.8% by the closing bell.
- SNPS lost 3.8% the night of May 18, 2005, after the company reported revenue ahead of expectations, matched the EPS view, and guided mostly in-line. It cut its downside the next day, climbing to a 0.2% rise by the May 19 closing bell.
- SNPS clawed its way to a 0.4% rise the night of Feb. 16, 2005, after the company topped expectations but set an outlook that could miss Street estimates. The upside momentum evaporated on Feb. 17 as SNPS ended the bell-to-bell session down 1.5%.
- SNPS declined 2.9% the night of Dec. 1, 2004, after the company missed Q4 earnings expectations and set its forward earnings view below Street estimates. The stock reversed its downside momentum in next-day trading, closing out the Dec. 2 regular session off a more modest 0.3%.
- Prior to the Dec. 1-2 event, SNPS had crossed wider next-day regular session closing levels following its previous three after-hours earnings events.
- On Aug. 18, 2004 SNPS was crushed for a 28.9% decline after the company missed expectations and guided lower. It closed the Aug. 19 regular session down 31.1%.
- On May 19, 2004 SNPS added 5.5% in night trading on better-than-expected results and guidance. It closed the next day up 11.6%.
- On Feb. 23, 2004 SNPS tumbled 11.5% in after-hours trading after it missed expectations and set its outlook below the Street view. It ended the Feb. 24 regular session down 13.2%.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.