Sanmina-Sci (SANM) is due to report Q1 results after the bell tonight, and analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are looking for a profit of $0.31 per share on revenue of $1.55 billion.
SANM has expanded its post-earnings share move between sessions in 18 of the past 30 quarters, or 60% of the time.
Looking deeper into the data, SANM has followed evening earnings news with a gain for 10 quarters, widening its move eight times, or 80% of the time.
SANM has posted an extended-hours decline in 19 quarters following evening earnings release. It has widened those declines 10 times, or 52% of the time.
The stock was flat in after-hours trading followed by a next-day decline in one other event.
Over its earnings history:
- On Nov. 1, 2011, the stock fell 1.3% in evening trading after guiding below the Street view. Shares rebounded to gain 4.7% the next day.
- On July 25, 2011, the stock jumped 10.6% in after-hours trading following a Q3 beat but guidance shy of the Street. Shares soared 21.3% the next day.
- On April 25, 2011, SANM declined 2.1% in after-hours trading after meeting Q2 expectations and setting its Q3 EPS guidance below the Street view. The stock reversed direction the following day, ending the April 26 regular session up 4.7%.
- On January 24, 2011, the stock slipped 0.3% in evening hours after a profit beat. Shares rebounded to gain 4.9% the next day.
- On November 1, 2011, the stock fell 3.7% after a Q4 beat but Q1 guidance for earnings that could miss the Street view. Shares dropped a sharper 7.1% the next day.
- On July 26, 2010, the stock fell 6.8% after an earnings miss, a revenue beat and mixed earnings. Shares dropped 16.8% the next day.
- On April 26, 2010, SANM declined 2.7% in after-hours trading despite reporting better-than-expected results and guidance. It cut its downside the following day, closing the April 27 regular session down 1.4%.
- On January 26, 2010, the stock jumped 14% after a Q1 beat. Shares were up 15% the next day.
- On Nov. 4, 2009, the stock jumped 16.1% in after-hours action after reporting a Q4 beat and guiding for Q1 above the Street view. The gain swelled to 27.4% the following day.
- On July 22, 2009, the stock gained 11.1% after a loss beat the Street view and guidance was in line. Shares jumped a robust 25.4% the next day.
- On April 22, 2009, SANM slumped 12.7% in after-hours trading after missing expectations and setting its guidance below the Street view. The stock tumbled lower the following day, ending the April 23 regular session down 16.3%.
- On Jan. 21, 2009, the stock was flat in evening hours after a Q1 miss and Q2 guidance below the Street. Shares plunged 15.8% the next day.
- On Oct. 29, 2008, the stock fell 1.5% despite a swing to Q4 profit. The stock matched that decline during the next day's regular session.
- On July 23, 2008, the stock gained 5.8% after the company beat with Q3 results and guided in line. The gain fattened to 16.8% the next day.
- On April 23, 2008, SANM declined 3.3% in after-hours trading after beating by a penny on earnings and setting mixed guidance. The stock reversed course the next day, soaring to a 6% rise by the April 24 regular session close.
- On Jan. 23, 2008, the stock gained 2.8% in the evening session after beating with Q1 earnings. Shares fell 3.5% the next day.
- On Oct. 30, 2007, shares slipped 0.8% during evening trading after the company was in line to higher with Q4 results but offered mixed guidance. The loss expanded to 3.5% the next day.
- On July 25, 2007, the stock fell 4.7% in the evening hours after missing with Q3 sales and guiding lower for Q4 sales. The loss fattened to 10.4% the next day.
- On April 24, 2007, SANM fell 5.8% in after hours when the company missed Q2 EPS estimates and offered guidance that was below Street views. Shares edged slightly lower the next day, ending the regular session down 6.1%.
- On Jan. 25, 2007, SANM edged down 0.5% in night trading despite beating Q1 estimates. It recovered those slim losses, though, the next day, closing the regular session up 4%.
- On Nov. 16, 2006, the stock slumped 12.1% in the evening session after the company reported below the Street and announced an expected financials restatement due to options. The loss was reined in somewhat the next day when the stock closed down 9.7%.
- On July 26, 2006, SANM fell 5.6% in the evening session after the company reported revenue in line but said it couldn't release EPS figures due to its ongoing options review. The loss expanded to 9.2% the next day.
- On April 25, 2006, shares jumped 14.1% in the after-hours session after the company reported in line earnings, revenue ahead of the Street's estimate and guided to the upside. The gain swelled to 26% the next day.
- On Jan. 25, 2006, SANM gained 1.5% in the night session after the company just edged out the Street view with its latest results. Its guidance proved uninspiring however and shares dropped 8.2% the next day.
- On Nov. 3, 2005, SANM jumped 9.5% in after-hours trading after reporting Q4 revs of $2.77 billion and non-GAAP EPS of $0.06 per share, both above Street expectations. Shares surged 20.4% in the next day's regular session.
- On July 26, 2005, SANM ended the night session down 10.6% after the company missed Q3 estimates and guided Q4 below Wall Street's expectations. The shares lost more ground, ending the next day's regular-hours session down 11.8%.
- On April 27, 2005, SANM fell 5.7% after missing on Q2 revenue but posting EPS that was a penny better than expected. It guided Q3 below the Street. SANM plunged 15.7% in the April 28 regular session.
- On Jan. 27, 2005, SANM dropped 9% after hours after missing on Q1 results and guiding Q2 below the FC mean. It widened that move in the Jan. 28 regular session, diving 14.1%.
- On Oct. 28, 2004, SANM edged down 0.1% in after-hours trading after beating the Street revenue target but coming in a penny shy on EPS. It turned around in the Oct. 29 regular session, surging 6.2%.
- On July 20, 2004 SANM surged 15.5% after beating its Q3 EPS target by 1 cent and announcing a restructuring. It narrowed its upside in the July 21 regular session, closing up 5%.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.