Many retailers' March sales numbers came out this morning:
- WalMart Inc. February same-store sales were up 4%, vs. analyst estimates of 1.6%. Total sales rose 11.7% to $34.3b. The company said that "while the earnings guidance ($0.68-0.71) is still attainable, given the tough sales environment for the April period, it will be a challenge."
- Costco comparable store sales rose 6% vs. analyst estimates of 4.7%. Total sales rose 11% to $5.94 billion.
- Gap same-store sales rose 6%, vs. analyst estimates of -1.1%. Total sales jumped 16% to $1.56b. The company said spring clearances at Gap and Banana Republic stores helped but resulted in lower margins.
- Target Corp. same-store sales were up 12%. Total sales rose 17% to $5.59b.
- Limited Brands Inc. same-store sales were up 8%, vs. estimates of a 6.6% rise. Total sales climbed from $788m to $892m.
- Abercrombie & Fitch same-store sales climbed 7%, vs. estimates of 2.4%. Total sales jumped 29% to $331m.
- Federated Department Stores same-store sales climbed 2.3%, vs. consensus estimates of 3.3%. Total sales were 1.5% higher to $2.29 billion.
- J.C. Penney Company Inc. sales at department stores open at least one year rose 10.6%, vs. analyst estimates of a 7.5%. Total sales rose 13.3% to $1.44 billion.
- Kohl's Corp. same-store sales jumped 16%. Total sales climbed 25.4% to $1.55b.
- TJX Companies Inc. same-store sales/sales at stores open at least a year rose 6%, vs. analyst estimates of 4.6%. Total sales rose 11% to $1.7b. It said it continued "to have great liquidity" in its inventories.
- Pacific Sunwear same-store sales rose 14.1% vs. analyst estimates of 3.4%. Total sales jumped 18% to $140 million.
- Cache Inc. said Tuesday sales for stores open at least one year were flat. Total sales fell 0.7% to $29.1m.
- Bebe Stores Inc. same-store sales rose 0.1% vs. analyst estimates of 4%.
- Nordstrom Inc. same-store sales rose 15% vs. analyst estimates of an 8.2% gain. Total sales were up 14% to $803m.
- Claire's stores comparable store sales increased 8% vs. analyst estimates of 3.1%. Total sales rose 17% to $136.6 million.
- Saks Inc. same-store sales rose 10%, vs. estimates of 13%. Total sales were up to $284 million from $253 million.
- American Eagle Outfitters Inc. same-store sales rose 20%, vs. analyst estimates of 11.1%. Total sales surged 35% to $271.5 million. It adjusted its Q1 profit forecast from $0.34 to $0.35 vs. analyst estimates of $0.33.
- Sharper Image Corp. same-store sales fell 29%, vs. analyst forecasts for a 20% drop. Total sales fell 45% to $22 million. It is the company's 29th straight month in decline.
- Aeropostale Inc. same-store sales rose 15.9%, vs. estimates of 8%. Total sales jumped 31.5% to $125m.
- Bon-Ton Stores same-store sales rose 0.6%, vs. flat estimates. Total sales went from $244 million to $288 million.
- Cato Corp. same-store sales rose 7%. Total sales gained 13% to $95 million.
- Dollar General same-store sales rose 5.5%, vs. analyst estimates of 5.4%. Total sales increased 8.7% to $905 million.
- Ross Stores sales at stores open at least a year rose 6%, vs. estimates of 4.6%. Total sales increased 14% to $599m.
- Children's Place Retail Stores sales at stores open at least one year rose 7% vs. 6% analyst estimates. Total sales were up 18% to $204.7 million.
- Gottschalks same-store sales were up 6.4%. Total sales increased 5.3% to $59 million.
- Ann Taylor Stores same-store sales rose 6.1%, vs. consensus estimates of 1.3%. Total sales were up 14.8% to $244 million.
- Gymboree same-store sales were up 9%, vs. analysts' estimates of 5.8%. Total sales rose 20% to $92 million.
- Family Dollar Stores same-store sales were up 5.8%, vs. estimates of 3.9%. Total sales increased 9.6% to $651 million.
The Thomson Financial Same Store Sales Index estimate is for a 4.1% gain in overall same-store sales, vs. the 1.8% growth of March 2006. Excluding Wal-Mart, same-store sales are forecasted to climb 6.1% vs. a 2.2% gain a year earlier.
Sources: Wall Street Journal, MarketWatch I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX, XX
Stocks/ETFs to watch: Pacific Sunwear of California Inc. (NASDAQ:PSUN), Cache Inc. (NASDAQ:CACH), bebe stores inc. (NASDAQ:BEBE), Nordstrom Inc. (NYSE:JWN), Claire's Stores Inc. (CLE), Limited Brands Inc. (LTD), Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT), Costco Wholesale Corp. (NASDAQ:COST), Saks Inc. (NYSE:SKS), American Eagle Outfitters Inc. (AEOS), Sharper Image Corp. (SHRP), J.C. Penney Company Inc. (NYSE:JCP), Federated Department Stores Inc. (FD), Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (NYSE:ANF), Aeropostale Inc. (NYSE:ARO), Bon-Ton Stores Inc. (NASDAQ:BONT), Cato Corp. (CTR), Target Corp. (NYSE:TGT), TJX Companies Inc. (NYSE:TJX), Kohl's Corp. (NYSE:KSS), Dollar General Corp. (NYSE:DG), Ross Stores Inc. (NASDAQ:ROST), AnnTaylor Stores Corp. (NYSE:ANN), The Children's Place Retail Stores Inc. (NASDAQ:PLCE), Gottschalks Inc. (GOT), Gymboree Corp. (NASDAQ:GYMB), Family Dollar Stores Inc. (NYSE:FDO)
Seeking Alpha's news briefs are combined into a pre-market summary called Wall Street Breakfast. Get Wall Street Breakfast by email -- it's free and takes only seconds to sign up.