Do you think the stock market is in for a new bout of volatility? If so, you may be interested in this list.
We ran a screen on the biotech industry for stocks with high liquidity, measured by current ratios above 3. Because biotech companies often operate for expanded periods of time without producing revenues, they rely heavily on sources of liquidity to continue operations. Therefore companies with high liquidity are viewed as safer investments.
After screening for liquidity, we searched for stocks with high correlations to the Volatility Index (VIX) over the last two months, indicating that these stocks tend to perform well during times of market anxiety and uncertainty.
Interactive Chart: Press Play to compare changes in analyst ratings over the last two years for the stocks mentioned below. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
We also created a price-weighted index of the stocks mentioned below, and monitored the performance of the list relative to the S&P 500 index over the last month. To access a complete analysis of this list's recent performance, click here.
Do you think these stocks will outperform if more volatility is in the market's future?
Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis.
List sorted by correlation to VIX.
1. Complete Genomics, Inc. (GNOM): Develops and commercializes a DNA sequencing platform for human genome sequencing and analysis. Current ratio at 5.11. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.706 over the last 60 days.
2. InterMune Inc. (ITMN): Focuses on developing and commercializing therapies in pulmonology and hepatology. Current ratio at 14.64. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.654 over the last 60 days.
3. 3SBio Inc. (SSRX): Engages in the research, development, manufacture, and distribution of pharmaceutical products in the People's Republic of China. Current ratio at 14.66. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.606 over the last 60 days.
4. Theravance Inc. (THRX): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule medicines for various therapeutic areas, including respiratory disease, bacterial infections, and central nervous system/pain. Current ratio at 6.76. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.58 over the last 60 days.
5. Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (VNDA): Focuses on the development and commercialization of products for the treatment of central nervous system disorders. Current ratio at 4.9. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.518 over the last 60 days.
6. Xenoport, Inc. (XNPT): Focuses on developing and commercializing internally discovered product candidates that utilize the body's natural nutrient transport mechanisms to enhance the therapeutic benefits of drugs. Current ratio at 9.61. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.508 over the last 60 days.
*Price data sourced from Yahoo! Finance, all other data sourced from Finviz.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.