Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) is due with its Q4 results after the bell tonight, and analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are expecting the company to report earnings of $1.09 per share on revenue of $3.17 billion.
JWN shows a mixed performance between its extended-hours action and the next day's regular session, cutting back or reversing its evening performance in next-day trade for nine of its last 20 earnings releases and extending its move in 11 quarters.
Looking deeper into the data, the stock has reacted to earnings news with gains in nine quarters, extending that move six times, or 67% of the time. On the bearish side, the stock has reacted to earnings news with downward share moves 11 times, extending that move five times. In one other event no trades were recorded in the extended-hours followed by a next-day decline.
- On Nov. 10, 2011, JWN declined 2.7% in after-hours trading after meeting Q3 estimates and setting guidance below the Street view. The bulk of that decline evaporated the next day as JWN closed the Nov. 11 regular session down 0.2%.
- On August 11, 2011, the stock gained 3.8% during after-hours trading when the company reported a Q2 beat but straddled the Street view with guidance. Shares rose a slightly stronger 4.6% the next day.
- On May 12, 2011, JWN declined 1.7% in evening trading after reporting a year-over-year gain in Q1 results and approving a stock buyback. The shares moved further in the red the next day, closing the May 13 regular session down 3.1%.
- On Feb. 17, 2011, JWN declined 2.7% in after-hours trading despite topping Q4 expectations. The stock reversed direction the following day, closing the Feb. 18 regular session up 0.9%.
- On Nov. 15, 2011, the stock fell 0.8% after beating with earnings and guiding largely in line with the Street view. Shares dropped 3% the next day.
- On August 12, 2010, the stock fell 4.3% during evening trading after meeting with Q2 EPS as revs beat and guidance straddled the Street view. Shares fell 7.1% the next day.
- On May 13, 2010, JWN declined 2.5% in evening trading after posting earnings results shy of expectations. The stock headed deeper in the red the following day, closing the May 14 regular session down 3.7%.
- On Feb. 22, 2010, the stock fell 3.4% after a Q4 miss and guidance that straddles the Street view. Shares edged up 0.1% in regular trading.
- On Nov. 12, 2009, the stock fell 5.4% after a Q3 miss and mixed guidance. Shares fell a slimmer 1.5% the next day.
- On Aug. 13, 2009, JWN edged up 0.3% in evening trading after reporting a year-over-year decline in Q2 results and raising its FY09 earnings view. The stock turned negative the following day, ending the Aug. 14 regular session down 6.3%.
- On May 14, 2009, the stock was up 3.1% in after-hours trading after a Q1 beat and raised FY EPS range. Shares gained a more robust 7.7% the next day.
- On Feb. 23, 2009, JWN gained 11.4% in after-hours trading after reporting better than expected results and in-line guidance. The stock ramped higher the next day, rising 20.8% by the close on Feb. 24.
- On Nov. 13, 2008, JWN declined 5.3% in after-hours trading after topping earnings expectations but issuing profit guidance below the then-current Street view. The stock tumbled further the next day, closing down 9.4% in the Nov. 14 regular session.
- On Aug. 14, 2008, the stock fell 2.7% after an earnings beat by a penny but guidance below the Street view. Shares rebounded to gain 4.3% the next day.
- On May 15, 2008, JWN advanced 3.5% in evening trading after topping earnings expectations and setting its outlook in a range that straddled the Street mean. The stock ended the May 16 regular session up 3%.
- On Feb. 25, 2008, JWN advanced 0.5% in evening trading after posting better-than-expected profits and issuing guidance that straddled the Street view. It charged higher the following day, gaining 4% by the close on Feb. 26.
- On Nov. 19, 2007, the stock jumped 9.9% during evening trading after the company beats with Q3 and sees Q4 results in line. The gain improved to 12% the next day.
- On Aug. 16, 2007, the stock eased 0.1% in the evening hours after reporting above with Q2 results and guiding about in line. Shares gained 1.8% the next day.
- On May 17, 2007, JWN was up 1% in the evening hours after beating with results and raising EPS guidance. The gain was reined in to 0.3% the next day.
- On the evening of Feb. 26, 2007, no trades were recorded in the extended-hours session after the company misses with EPS though sales top. The stock was down 7.6% during the following day's regular trading session.
- On November 20, 2006, JWN inched up 0.2% in night trading after beating Q3 estimates and forecasting FY EPS, without items, to beat expectations. The shares rose further the next day, ending the regular session up 4.5%.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.