Welcome to edition 302 of Insider Weekends. Insider buying declined last week with insiders buying $26.94 million of stock compared to $38.86 million in the week prior. Selling more than doubled with insiders selling $1.32 billion of stock last week compared to $635.25 million in the week prior.
Sell/Buy Ratio: The insider Sell/Buy ratio is calculated by dividing the total insider sales in a given week by total insider purchases that week. The adjusted ratio for last week went up to 48.99. In other words, insiders sold almost 49 times as much stock as they purchased. The Sell/Buy ratio this week compares unfavorably with the prior week, when the ratio stood at 16.35 and is the highest we have seen since March 27, 2015. We are calculating an adjusted ratio by removing transactions by funds and companies and trying as best as possible only to retain information about insiders and 10% owners who are not funds or companies.
Insider Sell Buy Ratio April 1, 2016
Note: As mentioned in the first post in this series, certain industries have their preferred metrics such as same store sales for retailers, funds from operations (FFO) for REITs and revenue per available room (RevPAR) for hotels that provide a better basis for comparison than simple valuation metrics. However metrics like Price/Earnings, Price/Sales and Enterprise Value/EBITDA included below should provide a good starting point for analyzing the majority of stocks.
Notable Insider Buys:
1. Opko Health, Inc. (NYSEMKT:OPK): $10.41
Shares of this medical devices and drug development company were acquired by 2 insiders:
- CEO & Chairman Phillip Frost M.D. acquired 134,200 shares, paying $10.17 per share for a total amount of $1.37 million. These shares were purchased indirectly by Frost Gamma Investments Trust.
- Executive VP-Administration Steven D. Rubin acquired 1,000 shares, paying $10.17 per share for a total amount of $10,166. Mr. Rubin increased his stake by 0.02% to 5,442,407 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Opko Health, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: 61.24||Industry P/E: 24.96|
|P/S: 12.47||Price/Book: 3.1||EV/EBITDA: -83.64|
|Market Cap: $5.68B||Avg. Daily Volume: 4,518,290||52-Week Range: $7.12-$19.2|
2. Patriot National, Inc. (NYSE:PN): $8.51
Shares of this insurance industry services provider were acquired by 2 insiders:
- Chairman, CEO and President Steven M. Mariano acquired 70,000 shares, paying $7.60 per share for a total amount of $532,000. These shares were purchased indirectly by Corporation.
- Director John Del Pizzo acquired 19,200 shares, paying $7.56 per share for a total amount of $145,152. Mr. Del increased his stake by 15.89% to 140,065 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Patriot National, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: 7.34||Industry P/E: 27.93|
|P/S: 1.02||Price/Book: 2.46||EV/EBITDA: 9.76|
|Market Cap: $231.27M||Avg. Daily Volume: 503,656||52-Week Range: $3.56-$19.32|
3. Ambac Financial Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMBC): $16.77
Shares of this insurance company were acquired by 2 insiders:
- Chief Executive Officer Tavakoli Nader acquired 28,390 shares, paying $15.98 per share for a total amount of $453,562. Mr. Nader increased his stake by 21.05% to 163,287 shares with this purchase.
- Director David L. Herzog acquired 12,820 shares, paying $15.84 per share for a total amount of $203,069.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Ambac Financial Group, Inc. here.
|P/E: 1.56||Forward P/E: 8.38||Industry P/E: 3.57|
|P/S: 1.1||Price/Book: 0.42||EV/EBITDA: 10.75|
|Market Cap: $755.44M||Avg. Daily Volume: 369,226||52-Week Range: $11.92-$25.91|
4. EVINE Live Inc. (NASDAQ:EVLV): $1.27
Shares of this digital commerce company were acquired by 9 insiders:
- Interim CEO Robert Rosenblatt acquired 305,000 shares, paying $0.97 per share for a total amount of $294,829. Mr. Rosenblatt increased his stake by 997.71% to 335,570 shares with this purchase.
- Chief Financial Officer Tim Peterman acquired 162,000 shares, paying $0.90 per share for a total amount of $146,205. These shares were purchased indirectly by Mr. Peterman's wife.
- Director Landel C. Hobbs acquired 20,000 shares, paying $1.06 per share for a total amount of $21,190. Mr. Hobbs increased his stake by 50.36% to 59,718 shares with this purchase.
- SVP, Gen Counsel and Secretary Damon E. Schramm acquired 20,000 shares, paying $0.94 per share for a total amount of $18,716. Mr. Schramm increased his stake by 444.44% to 24,500 shares with this purchase.
- SVP, Human Resources Jaime Nielsen acquired 19,000 shares, paying $0.92 per share for a total amount of $17,474. Ms. Nielsen increased his stake by 114.19% to 35,639 shares with this purchase.
- SVP, Corporate Controller Nick Vassallo acquired 16,700 shares, paying $0.85 per share for a total amount of $14,245. Mr. Vassallo increased his stake by 43.14% to 55,407 shares with this purchase.
- Director Lisa Letizio acquired 15,000 shares, paying $0.99 per share for a total amount of $14,819.
- Director Fred R. Siegel acquired 12,000 shares, paying $1.04 per share for a total amount of $12,500. These shares were purchased indirectly through Individual Retirement Account for Self.
- Director Lowell W. Robinson acquired 5,000 shares, paying $1.12 per share for a total amount of $5,600. Mr. Robinson increased his stake by 15.28% to 37,718 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for EVINE Live Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: 21.17||Industry P/E: 15.39|
|P/S: 0.1||Price/Book: 0.88||EV/EBITDA: 18.77|
|Market Cap: $72.61M||Avg. Daily Volume: 548,623||52 Week Range: $0.41 - $6.96|
5. Care Capital Properties, Inc. (NYSE:CCP): $26.17
Chief Executive Officer Raymond J. Lewis acquired 20,000 shares of this healthcare facilities REIT, paying $25.69 per share for a total amount of $513,846. Mr. Lewis increased his stake by 9.95% to 221,080 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Care Capital Properties, Inc. here.
|P/E: 14.76||Forward P/E: 9.28||Industry P/E: N/A|
|P/S: 7.22||Price/Book: 1.83||EV/EBITDA: 12.79|
|Market Cap: $2.20B||Avg. Daily Volume: 668,553||52-Week Range: $23.65-$36.44|
You can view the full list of purchases from this Insider Buying page.
Notable Insider Sales:
1. Facebook, Inc. (NASDAQ:FB): $116.06
Shares of Facebook were sold by 3 insiders:
- Director Jan Koum sold 1,147,624 shares for $115.34, generating $132.37 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through a trust.
- Chief Product Officer Christopher K. Cox sold 15,600 shares for $113.75, generating $1.77 million from the sale.
- VP and General Counsel Colin Stretch sold 1,000 shares for $113.83, generating $113,830 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Facebook, Inc. here.
|P/E: 89.76||Forward P/E: 28.03||Industry P/E: 31.22|
|P/S: 18.11||Price/Book: 7.31||EV/EBITDA: 37.9|
|Market Cap: $340.44B||Avg. Daily Volume: 35,694,300||52-Week Range: $72-$117.59|
2. Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL): $109.99
Senior Vice President Philip W. Schiller sold 268,644 shares of Apple for $110.01, generating $29.55 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through a trust.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Apple Inc. here.
|P/E: 11.7||Forward P/E: 10.98||Industry P/E: 21.25|
|P/S: 2.57||Price/Book: 4.71||EV/EBITDA: 7.66|
|Market Cap: $609.85B||Avg. Daily Volume: 46,038,500||52-Week Range: $92-$134.54|
3. Ross Stores Inc. (NASDAQ:ROST): $58.64
Shares of this apparel chain were sold by 4 insiders:
- Chairman, Executive Michael Balmuth sold 135,128 shares for $57.53, generating $7.77 million from the sale.
- Executive VP & Corp Secretary John G. Call sold 27,000 shares for $57.40, generating $1.55 million from the sale.
- President, Chief Operating Off Michael O'Sullivan sold 5,170 shares for $58.15, generating $300,658 from the sale.
- President, Merchandising Bernard G. Brautigan sold 2,617 shares for $57.57, generating $150,670 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Ross Stores Inc. here.
|P/E: 23.93||Forward P/E: 19.29||Industry P/E: 16.81|
|P/S: 2||Price/Book: 9.8||EV/EBITDA: 12.62|
|Market Cap: $24.26B||Avg. Daily Volume: 3,207,470||52-Week Range: $43.47-$59.68|
4. Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE:SIX): $58.19
Shares of this theme park operator were sold by 2 insiders:
- Exec. Chairman James Reid-Anderson sold 118,354 shares for $55.44, generating $6.56 million from the sale.
- Senior VP - Marketing Brett Petit sold 10,000 shares for $56.04, generating $560,410 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Six Flags Entertainment Corporation here.
|P/E: 36.83||Forward P/E: 31.45||Industry P/E: 29.87|
|P/S: 4.02||Price/Book: 209.4||EV/EBITDA: 14.54|
|Market Cap: $5.42B||Avg. Daily Volume: 907,273||52-Week Range: $41.6-$58.3|
5. salesforce.com, Inc. (NYSE:CRM): $75.73
Shares of this software-as-a-service (SAAS) provider were sold by 5 insiders:
- Chairman of the Board & CEO Marc Benioff sold 50,000 shares for $72.46, generating $3.62 million from the sale.
- Chief Financial Officer Mark J. Hawkins sold 8,625 shares for $71.89, generating $620,059 from the sale.
- Co-Founder Parker Harris sold 5,000 shares for $71.86, generating $359,295 from the sale.
- EVP, Global Employee Success Cynthia G. Robbins sold 5,000 shares for $73.00, generating $365,000 from the sale.
- Director John Victor Roos sold 180 shares for $71.54, generating $12,877 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for salesforce.com, inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: 58.25||Industry P/E: 36.8|
|P/S: 7.41||Price/Book: 9.87||EV/EBITDA: 85.06|
|Market Cap: $50.81B||Avg. Daily Volume: 6,114,910||52-Week Range: $52.6-$82.9|
You can view the full list of sales from this Insider Sales page.
Disclaimer: Clients of Signal Partners, LLC and I may have positions in any of these stocks at any time. Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.
Disclosure: I/we have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.
I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.
Editor's Note: This article covers one or more stocks trading at less than $1 per share and/or with less than a $100 million market cap. Please be aware of the risks associated with these stocks.