Do you worry about volatility when considering stocks? One idea is to consider a stock's historical correlation to volatility. Stocks that are highly correlated may have been treated as "safe havens" for uncertain times.
We ran a screen on stocks trading under $5 for those that are highly positively correlated to volatility, as measured by the VIX index, over the last two months. This means that these stocks have historically tended to move up as volatility spikes.
Interactive Chart: Press Play to compare changes in analyst ratings over the last two years for the top six stocks mentioned below. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
Do you think volatility is ahead for the market? Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis.
1. Frontier Communications Corporation (NYSE:FTR): Provides regulated and unregulated voice, data, and video services to residential, business, and wholesale customers in the United States. Price at $4.27. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.659 over the last 60 days.
2. Heckmann Corporation (HEK): Acquires or makes investments in various businesses. Price at $4.77. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.682 over the last 60 days.
3. Hecla Mining Co. (NYSE:HL): Engages in the discovery, acquisition, development, production, and marketing of silver, gold, lead, and zinc. Price at $4.70. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.635 over the last 60 days.
4. Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services Inc. (NYSEMKT:LTS): Provides a range of financial services primarily to corporate and institutional clients, and high net-worth individuals in the United States. Price at $2.00. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.558 over the last 60 days.
5. Orbitz Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:OWW): Operates as an online travel company worldwide. Price at $3.46. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.608 over the last 60 days.
6. RF Micro Devices Inc. (RFMD): Designs, develops, manufactures, and markets radio frequency components and compound semiconductor technologies in the United States and internationally. Price at $4.91. Correlation with the VIX index at 0.508 over the last 60 days.
*Price data sourced from Yahoo! Finance, all other data sourced from Finviz.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.