Which Stock Will Outperform By Year-End 2012?
We challenge Seeking Alpha readers to pick the winning stock in a play with unique biomarkers for cancer and cardiovascular disease. Our focus stocks are BGMedicine (BGMD) and Vermillion (VRML). Both companies have proprietary diagnostic products being launched this year and resources in the short term to build revenue. We will update news and financial metrics on these companies and ask readers to weigh in on their favorites. Here is a brief summary to get started:
BGMedicine, Waltham, Mass. / Vermillion, Austin, Texas
- Price 4/3 BGMD $7; VRML $2.00
- Market Cap $139.4M; $30.1M
- Bal. Cash $28M; $22M
- Book Value $24.7M; $10.3M
- Retained Earn. ($108.6M); ($316M)
- Rev. Est. 2012 $2.9M; $2.9M
- EPS Est. 2012 ($1.25); ($0.94)
- Products: BGMD: Galectin-3 heart failure; VRML: OVA1 Biomarker for cancer
Galectin-3 is an approved (510k) blood test that plays an important role in heart failure.
OVA1 is an approved blood test for evaluation of ovarian adnexal mass.
See company websites for technology, IP and product pipeline.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.