Citrix Systems (CTXS) is due with its Q1 results in the extended-hours today, and analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect the company to report a profit of $0.51 per share on revenue of $562 million.
CTXS is mixed in its performance between the sessions, adding to its earnings-driven after-hours trade in next-day action in 14 events and reversing direction in 15 events over the last 29 quarters.
Looking deeper into the performance data, CTXS has recorded an earnings-driven after-hours gain in 15 of the 29 quarters tracked, nine times adding to its evening upside in the following day's regular session, or 60% of the time. On the downside, CTXS has recorded an earnings-driven after-hours decline in 14 of the 29 quarters tracked, reversing direction in eight of those quarters, or 57% of the time.
- On Jan. 25, 2012, CTXS declined 0.9% in after-hours trade after meeting Q4 revenue estimates and beating on earnings. The stock was hit for deeper declines the next day, closing the Jan. 26 regular session off 3.8%.
- In the Oct. 27, 2011 pre-market, the stock jumped 17.8% after CTXS beat with results and guidance. The stock rose a slightly trimmer 17.3% during regular trading.
- On July 27, 2011, CTXS declined 4.2% in after-hours trade after beating Q2 expectations and offering mixed guidance. It saw that decline evaporate the next day, ending the July 28 regular session with a gain, up 2.6%.
- On April 27, 2011, the stock rose 5% after earnings beat and guidance was mostly above the Street view. The gain swelled to 9.7% the next day.
- On Jan. 26, 2011, gained 2.1% in evening trade after posting better-than-expected results and guidance. The stock saw its gain narrow slightly the next day, closing the Jan. 27 regular session up 2%.
- On Oct. 21, 2010, CTXS edged down 0.03% in after-hours trade despite posting better-than-expected results and guidance. The stock reversed direction the following day, closing the Oct. 22 regular session up 4%.
- On July 28, 2010, the stock rose 5.5% after a revenue beat and mixed guidance. Shares jumped 19.7% the next day.
- On April 21, 2010, CTXS declined 2.3% in evening trade after reporting mostly in line results and guidance. It edged slightly lower the following day, closing the April 22 regular session down 3%.
- On Jan. 27, 2010, the stock fell 3.3% after a Q4 beat and guidance that straddled the Street view. Shares rebounded to gain 1.7% the next day.
- On Oct. 21, 2009, CTXS shed 4.3% in after-hours trade despite topping Q3 expectations. The stock cut its downside the next day, ending the Oct. 22 regular session with a 3.8% decline.
- On July 22, 2009, CTXS declined 2.3% in evening action despite posting better-than-expected Q2 results. The stock recorded a sharp reversal the following day, ending the July 23 regular session up 5.5%.
- On April 29, 2009, CTXS advanced 4.3% in after-hours trade after beating earnings expectations by a penny. The stock leaped higher the next day, closing the April 30 regular session up 11.2%.
- On Jan. 28, 2009, CTXS declined 7% in evening action after missing Q4 revenue estimates. The stock headed deeper south in the Jan. 29 regular session, sliding 8.6% by the closing bell.
- On Oct. 22, 2008, CTXS gained 10.1% in after-hours trade after posting better-than-expected results and guidance. The stock added to its upside the next day, rising 10.7% by Oct. 23 close.
- On July 23, 2008, CTXS advanced 2.7% in evening trade after beating Q2 expectations and setting guidance in line to below Street estimates. The stock lost that gain the following day, closing the July 24 regular session down 4.1%.
- On April 23, 2008, CTXS declined 3.5% in the evening hours after beating with Q1 results and setting guidance in line to below expectations. It reversed course the following regular session, ending the day up 1.5% on April 24.
- On Jan. 23, 2008, CTXS advanced 5% in after-hours trade after beating Q4 expectations and guiding to mostly match the Street view for Q1. The stock added to its upside the next day, rising 7.1% by the close.
- On Oct. 17, 2007, CTXS declined 7% in after-hours trade after beating expectations but also issuing weaker-than-expected earnings guidance. That downside narrowed a bit the next day, with CTXS losing 2.9% in the Oct. 18 regular session.
- On July 18, 2007, CTXS jumped 9% in after hours when the company handily topped Q2 expectations. Shares, though, scaled back their gains the next day to close up 5.3% in the regular session.
- On April 25, 2007, CTXS slips 1.3% in evening trade despite topping Q1 sales expectations and offering guidance that is mostly above Street views. Shares trimmed those losses the next day to end the regular session down 1.2%.
- On Jan. 23, 2007, CTXS jumped 9.2% in night trade after beating Q4 estimates and providing strong guidance. However, shares could not hold onto all those gains and gave some back the next day. It closed the regular session up a less robust 5.9%.
- On Oct. 18, 2006, CTXS slid 12.4% in after-hours when the company missed Q3 sales estimates but topped on EPS. The shares tumbled further the following day, closing the regular session down 19.7%.
- On July 19, 2006, shares fell 8.7% after the company reported in line with EPS, beats on revenue and guides mostly in line. Shares fell 13.8% the next day.
- On April 19, 2006, the stock was up 3.5% in night trading after the company beat and guided higher. The stock gained 7.9% the next day.
- On Jan. 18, 2006, CTXS moved up 5.9% following a report that beat Street earnings estimates. The stock improved to post a 7.8% gain the next day.
- On Oct. 19, 2005, CTXS advanced 6% in evening trade after the company topped Q3 forecasts and said it sees Q4 EPS above estimates. The stock pushed slightly higher on Oct. 20, rising 6.8% by the closing bell.
- On July 26, 2005, CTXS gained 3.5% in night play after beating Q2 estimates and guiding 2005 EPS just above expectations. Buyers jumped more aggressively into the issue on July 27, boosting it 8.4% by the closing bell.
- On April 20, 2005 CTXS lost 1.9% in evening play despite beating expectations and guiding in line. It cut back its downside in the April 21 regular session, ending the day with a 0.5% decline.
- On Jan. 27, 2005 CTXS clawed its way to a 0.2% rise in night trade after topping expectations and guiding to match the then current Street view. It reversed course the following day, and ultimately ended the regular session with a sharp 6.7% drop.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.