LSI Corp. (NASDAQ:LSI) is slated to report its Q1 results after the close tonight, and analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are forecasting a profit of $0.14 per share on revenue of $600 million.
Based on the data collected on LSI, the stock leans toward widening its after-hours moves the next day following an evening earnings report. It extended its move in 18 of the 28 earnings events for which we have data.
Looking deeper into the data, the stock has gained 17 times in response to earnings news, widening that move the following day 11 times, or 65% of the time. The bearish side is just as definitive; of its 11 declines, the stock has widened that move seven times or 64% of the time.
- On Jan. 25, 2012, LSI surged 7.9% in evening trade after posting mixed Q4 results but also Q1 guidance mostly above the Street view. The stock jumped higher the next day, closing the Jan. 26 regular session up 10.8%.
- On Oct. 26, 2012, the stock fell 3% in after-hours trading following a Q3 earnings meet and guidance in line to below Street estimates. Shares jumped 6.2% the next day.
- On July 27, 2011, the stock jumped 10% after an earnings and revenue beat. Shares rose 14.1% the next day.
- On April 27, 2011, the stock rose 6.1% in evening trading after the company reported in-line earnings and straddled the Street view with guidance. Shares rose a stronger 7.4% the next day.
- On January 26, 2011, the stock rose 3.1% after Q4 EPS beat by a penny and guidance straddled the Street view. Shares jumped 6.8% the next day.
- On Oct. 27, 2010, LSI advanced 2.5% in evening action after topping EPS estimates and setting mixed guidance. The stock added to its gains the next day, rising 7.3% in the Oct. 28 regular session.
- On July 28, 2010, the stock fell 7.1% in after-hours trading in response to a report showing a revenue miss and disappointing guidance. Shares dropped 13.9% the next day.
- On April 28, 2010, the stock fell 3.3% during evening trading even as the company reported a swing to Q1 profit. Shares fell a slimmer 1.5% the next day.
- On Jan. 27. 2010, the stock fell 6.6% after a Q4 beat and guidance in line to above Street expectations. Shares dropped 9.1% the next day.
- On Oct. 28, 2009, the stock gained 3.4% after beating with Q3 results. Shares rose a stronger 6.2% the next day.
- On July 29, 2009, LSI declined 3.6% in after-hours trade despite reporting better-than-expected Q2 results and issuing Q3 guidance that straddled the Street view. The stock cut its downside the following day, ending the July 30 regular session down 0.3%.
- On April 29, 2009, shares fell 5.7% in evening hours after a swing to a quarterly loss that was better than the Street view. The stock fell 3.5% the next day.
- On Jan. 28, 2009, LSI declined 6.9% in after-hours trade after beating Q4 expectations but setting its Q1 guidance mostly below the Street view. It added to its downside in the Jan. 29 regular session, declining 10.5%.
- On Oct. 22, 2008, the stock edged up 0.5% after reporting ahead of the Street with Q3 results. Shares reversed and fell 6.5% the next day.
- On July 23, 2008, the stock jumped 11% after reporting beating with its results and guiding higher. Shares gained 1.6% the next day.
- On April 23, 2008, LSI charged 17.9% higher in after-hours trade after beating on Q1 and guiding higher for Q2. The stock fattened that upside the following regular session, ending April 24 up 20.5%.
- On Jan. 23, 2008, the stock jumped 7.2% during evening trading after LSI beat with Q4 and guides for Q1 in line to above. The gain swelled to 20.9% the next day.
- On Oct. 24, 2007, the stock gained 4.2% in night trading after the company reported ahead of the Street with Q3 results and guided for Q4 in line. Shares reversed to drop 9% the next day.
- On July 25, 2007, the stock advanced 3.3% in after-hours trade after the company tops with sales but guided for Q3 EPS to be in line to lower. Shares reversed and were down 3% by the closing bell the next day.
- On April 25, 2007, LSI declined 6.7% in after-hours trade after missing Q1 sales estimates, beating on EPS, and setting its outlook below the analyst consensus. The stock declined further on April 26, losing 9.8% by the regular session close.
- On Jan. 24, 2007, LSI dipped 1.6% in night trade after beating Q4 estimates but forecasting Q1 below Street views. Shares fell further the next day, ending the regular session down 7.3%.
- On Oct. 25, 2006, LSI jumped 7.1% in after-hour trade when the company beat Q3 estimates and issued in line to higher guidance. Shares rallied further, closing the next day session up 14.1%.
- On July 26, LSI beat Q2 estimates but forecasted Q3 below Street views. We have no data for this date.
- On April 26, 2006, LSI edged up 0.1% in night trade after meeting Q1 EPS estimates and missing on sales. It also issued Q2 guidance that was in line with expectations. The shares extended that gain the next day, closing the regular session up 4.1%.
- On January 25, 2006, LSI rose 3.9% in after hours when the company topped Q4 estimates and guided for Q1 EPS above Street views. LSI widened those gains, closing the regular session the next day up 5.3%.
- On October 26, 2005, LSI slid 6.2% in evening trade after the company said matched Q3 earnings estimates but fell short of expectations with its sales. It also guided Q4 below Street views. Shares tumbled further the next day, ending the regular session down 7.8%.
- On July 27, 2005, LSI shed 2.8% in after-hours trade despite beating Q2 estimates and guiding Q3 in line with expectations. The shares widened their losses the next day, ending the regular-hours session down 5.5%.
- On April 27, 2005, LSI edged up 0.9% in the night session after the company topped Q1 sales estimates and matched EPS expectations. However, those gains were eroded the next day. Shares ended regular hours trading down 1.6%.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.