NutriSystem (NASDAQ:NTRI) is due with its Q1 results in tonight's after-hours session, and analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect the company to post a loss of $0.08 per share on revenue of $134 million.
NTRI holds a long-term widening pattern, adding to its evening performance in next-day trade in 13 of the 20 quarters we've tracked.
Looking deeper into the data, the stock has reacted to earnings news with gains in eight quarters, building on that move five times, or 62% of the time. The stock has reacted to earnings news with declines in 12 quarters, extending that move eight times, or 67% of the time.
- On March 5, 2012, NTRI declined 10.8% in after-hours trade after posting a wider-than-expected Q4 loss. The stock added slightly to its downside the next day, closing the March 6 regular session off 10.9%.
- On Nov. 2, 2011, NTRI tumbled 14.1% in after-hours trade after missing its Q3 estimates and setting guidance below expectations. The stock cut its downside the next day, closing the Nov. 3 regular session off 6.5%.
- On July 28, 2011, NTRI gained 4.7% in after-hours trade after beating on Q2 and issuing mixed guidance. The stock firmed even higher the next day, closing the July 29 regular session up 7.9%.
- On April 27, 2011, NTRI soared 11.6% in after-hours trade after posting better-than-expected results and guidance. The stock cut its upside the following day, ending the April 28 regular session up 8.1%.
- On February 24, 2011, the stock tumbled 28.1% in evening hours after a miss. Shares fell a steeper 31.2% the next day.
- On July 29, 2010, the stock fell 7.6% despite a Q2 beat. Shares dropped a deeper 12% the next day.
- On May 3, 2010, NTRI leaped 10.8% in after-hours trade after beating Q1 expectations. The stock added to its upside the following day, closing the May 4 regular session up 22.2%.
- On March 1, 2010, the stock fell 12.6% in evening trading after the company beat with results but commented on weaker-than-expected expectations. The loss swelled to 15.9% the next day.
- On Oct. 27, 2009, NTRI edged up 0.2% in evening trade after beating earnings expectations. The stock soared higher the next day, ending the Oct. 28 regular session up 12.1%.
- On July 29, 2009, NTRI ended the after-hours session flat on better-than-expected results but weak EPS guidance. The stock turned firmly south the next day, ending the July 30 regular session down 9.4%.
- On April 29, 2009, the stock fell 7.2% after a revenue miss. The stock fell a slightly more aggressive 8.9% the next day.
- On Feb. 18, 2009, NTRI declined 11.4% in after-hours trade after missing Q4 expectations. The stock narrowed its downside slightly the following day, ending the Feb. 19 regular session down 11.3%.
- No Q3 data tracked from 7/23/08.
- On April 23, 2008, NTRI declined 3% in evening trade despite beating earnings expectations and setting in-line guidance. The stock headed lower in the April 24 regular session, losing 9.2%.
- On Feb. 19, 2008, the stock tumbled 24.6% during evening trading after the company beat with Q4 but guides below Street view. The loss expanded to 30.6% by the close of trading the next day.
- On Oct. 24, 2007, the stock dropped 9.9% during extended-hours trading. The stock bounced to finish up 11% by the close of regular trading.
- On July 24, 2007, NTRI declined 14.7% in after-hours trade after the company beat on Q2 but offered mixed guidance. It narrowed that downside the next day, closing the July 25 regular session down 10.8%.
- On April 25, 2007, shares jumped 12.1% in the evening hours after the company beat with Q1 and guided higher. The gain was reined in to 3.2%.
- On Feb. 14, 2007, shares jumped 11.9% after NTRI topped estimates. The gain improved to 13.4% the next day.
- On Oct. 24, 2006, the stock improved 4.4% in the after-hours session after the co. topped revenue expectations and guided higher. The stock reversed to decline 5.9% the next day.
- On July 24, 2006, shares dropped 13.7% in the evening hours despite topping Street estimates and guiding mostly higher. The stock fell a deeper 19.7% the next day.
- On April 24, 2006, NTRI jumped 27% in the after-hours session after the company beat and guided higher. The stock swelled by 34.1% the next day.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.