Here’s what they did in 2007:
- Apple: +133.5%
- Amazon: +134.8%
- Google: +50.2%
- Research In Motion: +166.3%
But this year, the four horsemen are looking more like the original four horsemen: Death, War, Famine and Pestilence.
Here’s what the stocks have done so far this year:
- Apple: -35%
- Amazon: -23.4%
- Google: -22.5%
- Research In Motion: -28%
In Wednesday’s trading, all four stocks are down steeply:
- Apple: Down $26.65, or 17.1%, to $128.99.
- Amazon: Down $7.56, or 9.6%, to $70.92.
- Google: Down $48.15, or 8.2%, to $536.20.
- Research In Motion: Down $8.47, or 9.4%, to $81.61.
I have no idea if the stocks have hit bottom or not. But there are a lot of people out there sitting on fat profits. If you’re thinking they can’t go lower, keep in mind that all four stocks are still showing substantial gains since their 2006 close; RIMM remains at nearly twice where it finished 2006. To quote the great stock market seer Yogi Berra, it ain’t over ’till it's over.