This is a continuation of my previous article on biotechnology stocks to watch ahead of ASCO 2012. In this article, I cover the fourth set of stocks that are presenting at ASCO 2012. Biotech stocks are high risk/reward stocks, and therefore considerable analysis is required before trading. Use this list as a potential starting point for your analysis.
1. Pharmacyclics, Inc (PCYC): Pharmacyclics, Inc. is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing small-molecule drugs for the treatment of cancer and immune mediated diseases. Pharmacyclics has three product candidates in clinical development and several preclinical molecules in lead optimization.
On May 17, 2012, Pharmacyclics announced that clinical abstracts on Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase inhibitor, ibrutinib (formerly, PCI-32765) have been selected for oral presentations at the 48th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) 2012. Pharmacyclics plans to present a material update on the ibrutinib clinical development program in a press release after the ASCO oral presentations on Monday, June 4, 2012 and expects to hold a conference call as well on Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM CT.
The details of the abstracts and schedule can be found here.
Pharmacyclics has a market cap of $2.28 billion and it is currently trading around $32.80 with a 52-week range of $6.74 to $33.24. The stock has 121.32% price performance for the year 2012.
2. Astex Pharmaceuticals, Inc (ASTX): Astex Pharmaceuticals, Inc., formerly SuperGen, Inc. (SUPG), is a pharmaceutical company engaged primarily in the discovery and development of therapies to treat patients with cancer. The Company's primary developmental efforts revolve around the products progressing out of its acquisition of Montigen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Montigen), a small-molecule drug discovery company. The Company initiated Phase I in-human clinical trials and Phase Ib clinical trials for the first Montigen product, amuvatinib (MP-470), a deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) repair suppressor.
On May 16, 2012, Astex Pharmaceuticals announced the acceptance of three abstracts for presentation at the 2012 ASCO Annual Meeting. The details of the abstracts and schedule can be found here.
Astex Pharmaceuticals has a market cap of $168.53 million and it is currently trading around $1.81 with a 52-week range of $1.51 to $3.35. The stock has -4.23% price performance for the year 2012.
3. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ): Johnson & Johnson engages in the research, development, manufacture, and sale of various products in the health care field worldwide.
Johnson & Johnson will be presenting the data related to ZYTIGA (abiraterone acetate) clinical studies, investigational compounds ibrutinib and siltuximab at ASCO. Additional abstracts were also accepted as publication-only or in the trial in progress category. These studies were sponsored by Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C. The details of the abstracts and schedule can be found here.
Johnson & Johnson has a market cap of $171.68 billion and it is currently trading around $62.51 with a 52-week range of $57.51 to $66.30. The stock has -3.85% price performance for the year 2012.
4. Biovest International, Inc: Biovest ((OTC:BVTI)) is an emerging leader in the field of active personalized immunotherapies. In collaboration with the National Cancer Institute, Biovest has developed a patient-specific, cancer vaccine, BiovaxID, with three clinical trials completed, including a Phase III study, demonstrating evidence of safety and efficacy for the treatment of indolent follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Biovest is a majority-owned subsidiary of Accentia Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. ((OTCPK:ABPI)).
New data from the BiovaxID Phase II mantle cell lymphoma clinical trial conducted by the U.S. National Cancer Institute (NCI) will be presented by the NCI at the 2012 American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting (ASCO 2012). The abstract (#2528), titled, "Association of idiotype vaccine-induced T-cell response with improved survival and time-to-next treatment (TTNT) in untreated mantle cell lymphoma (MCL)", will be presented by the NCI on Saturday, June 2. The detail of the abstracts and schedule can be found here.
Biovest has a market cap of $62.56 million and it is currently trading around $0.43 with a 52-week range of $0.32 to $0.77. The stock has 14.67% price performance for the year 2012.
5. Roche Holding Ltd (OTCQX:RHHBY): Roche Holding AG is a Swiss pharmaceuticals and diagnostics holding company. It belongs to the Roche Group that operates through subsidiaries and associated companies around the world. It discovers, develops and provides diagnostic and therapeutic products and services from early detection and prevention of diseases to diagnosis, treatment and treatment monitoring. The Company has two divisions: Pharmaceuticals and Diagnostics. Pharmaceuticals are divided into three sub-divisions: Roche Pharmaceuticals, Genentech and Chugai.
Roche Holding will present important new data from studies of several of its cancer medicines at the 48th ASCO. At the meeting, data on Roche's late-stage investigational and approved cancer medicines will be communicated in sessions that include 30 oral presentations. The detail of the abstracts and schedule can be found here.
Roche Holding has a market cap of $137.35 billion and it is currently trading around $39.81 with a 52-week range of $ 36.50 to $46.40. The stock has -6.44% price performance for the year 2012.
6. Genta Incorporated: Genta ((OTC:GNTA)) is a biopharmaceutical company engaged in pharmaceutical (drug) research and development. The Company is engaged in the identification, development and commercialization of drugs for the treatment of cancer and related diseases. Its research portfolio consists of two major programs: Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA)/Ribonucleic Acid (RNA) Medicines, which includes its lead oncology drug, Genasense, and Small Molecules, which includes Genta's marketed product, Ganite, and tesetaxel and oral gallium-containing compounds.
On May 22, 2012, Genta will present its Phase 2 clinical trial results using tesetaxel as initial, single-agent chemotherapy in women with advanced breast cancer at the ASCO 2012 annual meeting. Tesetaxel is the leading oral taxane in clinical development.The detail of the abstracts and schedule can be found here.
Genta has a market cap of $2.30 million and it is currently trading around $0.0011 with a 52-week range of $0.00 to $0.04.
7. Puma Biotechnology Inc: Puma Biotechnology (NYSE:PBYI) is a development stage biopharmaceutical company that acquires and develops innovative products for the treatment of various forms of cancer. The Company focuses on in-licensing drug candidates that are undergoing or have already completed initial clinical testing for the treatment of cancer and then seeks to further develop those drug candidates for commercial use. The Company is initially focused on the development of PB272 (oral neratinib), a potent irreversible tyrosine kinase inhibitor, for the treatment of patients with HER2 positive metastatic breast cancer.
Puma Biotechnology will present the clinical data for its lead drug candidate PB272 (neratinib) in patients with metastatic breast cancer in the HER2/ER Breast Cancer poster session at ASCO on June 2, 8:00 AM - 12 PM CT. The detail of the abstracts and schedule can be found here.
Puma Biotechnology has a market cap of $270.54 million and it is currently trading around $13.25 with a 52-week range of $10.00 to $14.03.
Some of the data is sourced from Google Finance, Yahoo Finance, Finviz, Fidelity and investors site.
Disclaimer: I am not a registered investment advisor and do not provide specific investment advice. The information contained herein is for informational purposes only. Nothing in this article should be taken as a solicitation to purchase or sell securities. Before buying or selling any stock you should do your own research and reach your own conclusion. It is up to investors to make the correct decision after necessary research.
I change my positions very frequently and may initiate either long or short positions in the above mentioned stocks at any time.