Nick Perry (Schaeffer's Investment Research) submits:
At the sector level, the picture is little changed from what we saw early on...semis, oil-related stocks, and the HUI led while drugs lagged...
Perhaps I just wasn't looking hard enough...or in the right places...but I didn't see too much from today's action that was all that noteworthy. Most groups sat near breakeven and the advancers just seemed to be recouping recent losses. In other words, I just didn't find much to catch my eye.
I thought Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) might provide some "relief" to the monotony, but even it failed to show much volatility - relatively speaking. The stock finished the day near 385, so it is still holding above that support, but its gain was less than one percent and its low-to-range was half of Friday's...
However, I have high hopes that tomorrow's action is going to be more interesting.
* .SPX is the S&P 500 (SPX)
* .DJIA is the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA)
* COMP is the Nasdaq Composite (COMP)
* .NDX is the Nasdaq 100 Index (NDX)
* RUT is the Russell 2000 (RUT)
* OEX is the S&P 100 (OEX)
* SOX is the PHLX Semiconductor Index (SOX)
* NWX is the Amex Networking Index (NWX)
* INX is the CBOE Internet Index (INX)
* BTK is the Amex Biotech Index (BTK)
* TLT is the iShares Treasury Bond (NYSEARCA:TLT)
* DRG is the AMEX Pharmaceutical Index (DRG)
* HGX is the PHLX Housing Index (HGX)
* CYC is the Cyclical Index (CYC)
* BKX is the PHLX Banking Index (BKX)
* XBD is the Broker/Dealer Index (XBD)
* .OIL is the Composite Crude Oil
* OSX is the PHLX Oil Services (OSX)
* XOI is the Oil & Gas Index (XOI)
* XNG is the Natural Gas Index (XNG)
* GLD is the streetTRACKS Gold (NYSEARCA:GLD)
* HUI is the Amex Gold Bugs (HUI)