The ETF count for June stands at 1,476, consisting of 1,259 ETFs and 217 ETNs. Eleven new product introductions during the month brought the launch count to 124 for the first half of 2012. Assets under management climbed to $1.18 trillion. The 3.9% monthly increase closely matches the performance of U.S. equity markets in June. Products with asset levels in excess of $10 billion now total 23 while 157 ETPs have passed the $1 billion mark.
Two of June's new ETFs are actively managed funds, pushing their quantity to 51 and passing the 50-fund milestone. Assets in actively managed ETFs climbed to about $7.2 billion. At this time, actively managed ETFs represent only 3.4% of ETP quantity and 0.6% of ETP assets. Meanwhile, they appear to be grabbing a much larger share of media attention.
Trading activity slumped 10% in June as total dollar volume (value traded) came in at $1.35 trillion. SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) single-handedly accounted for 35.9% of all trading activity. ETPs averaging more than $1 billion per day of trading held steady at eleven, accounting for 63.0% of all ETP traded value. Products averaging more than $100 million in dollar volume per day increased from 67 to 71 while capturing 89.4% of trading activity. The quantity with more than $10 million of trading per day slid from 239 to 228, grabbing 97.8% of trading.
|June 2012 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||1,259||217||1,476|
|Listed as of 12/31/2011||1,166||203||1,369|
|New Introductions for Month||10||1||11|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||0||0||0|
|Net Change for Month||+10||+1||+11|
|New Introductions 6 Months||110||14||124|
|New Introductions YTD||110||14||124|
|Net Change YTD||+93||+14||+107|
|Assets Under Mgmt ($ billion)||$1,163||$16.8||$1,180|
|% Change in Assets for Month||+3.9%||+6.7||+3.9%|
|Qty AUM > $10 Billion||23||0||23|
|Qty AUM > $1 Billion||154||3||157|
|Qty AUM > $100 Million||519||26||545|
|Monthly $ Volume ($ billion)||$1,312||$33.0||$1,345|
|% Change in Monthly $ Volume||-10.1%||-5.4%||-10.0%|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $1 Billion||10||1||11|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $100 Million||68||3||71|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $10 Million||217||11||228|
Data sources: Daily prices and volume of individual ETPs from Norgate Premium Data. Fund counts and all other information compiled by Invest With An Edge.
New products launched in June (sorted by launch date):
- Global X Top Guru Holdings Index ETF (GURU)
- STREAM S&P Dynamic Roll Global Commodities Fund (BNPC)
- UBS AG FI Enhanced Big Cap Growth ETN (FBG)
- Sustainable North American Oil Sands ETF (SNDS)
- SPDR BofA Merrill Lynch Emerging Markets Corporate Bond ETF (EMCD)
- SPDR BofA Merrill Lynch Crossover Corporate Bond ETF (XOVR)
- United States Metals Index Fund (USMI)
- Huntington EcoLogical Strategy ETF (HECO)
- First Trust North American Energy Infrastructure Fund (EMLP)
- ProShares Short Euro (EUFX)
- ALPS Sector Dividend Dogs ETF (SDOG)
Product closures/delistings in June: None
Product changes in May and June:
- Alerian MLP ETF (AMLP) made additional disclosures regarding the negative impact of its C-corporation structure on May 9 and raised its expense ratio to 4.86%.
- The management team of AdvisorShares Dent Tactical ETF (DENT) resigned June 2, replaced by Laif Meidell of the AdvisorShares Meidell Tactical Advantage ETF (MATH). Pending shareholder approval, DENT will be "reorganized" into MATH on September 7, 2012. Both DENT and MATH remain on ETF Deathwatch.
- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) announced a limit on the number of notes to be issued for JPMorgan Alerian MLP ETN (AMJ) on June 14. The limit was reached on or about June 21, effectively converting AMJ to closed-end note at that time, and a price premium developed immediately.
- Direxion reduced the maximum exposure from 150% to 100% and revised the names (changing "RC" to "DRRC" for Dynamic Rebalancing Risk Control) for its Volatility Response Shares series of ETFs (VSPY, VSPR, and VLAT) as of June 15.
- Direxion changed the underlying indexes of eight 3x ETFs from Russell to S&P Indexes, resulting in two name changes and six ticker symbol changes effective June 29.
Announced Product Changes for Coming Months:
- Market Vectors Solar Energy ETF (KWT) will undergo a 1-for-15 reverse split effective July 2, 2012.
- iShares 2012 S&P AMT-Free Municipal Series ETF (MUAA)'s last day of trading is scheduled for August 15, due to its planned maturity and liquidation.
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2012 Corporate Bond (BSCC) will terminate on or about December 31 due to its planned maturity and liquidation.
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2012 High Yield Corporate Bond (BSJC) will terminate on or about December 31 due to its planned maturity and liquidation.
Disclosure: (covering writer, editor, publisher, and affiliates) Long AMJ and BSJC. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.