B&G Foods Inc. (BGS) is scheduled to report its Q2 2012 results on July 19, 2012, after the bell. The street expects EPS and revenue of $0.31 and $154.88M, respectively.
In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from BGS and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
The company has met or beaten analysts' estimates in the last four quarters. In the last quarter it reported $0.35 EPS, in-line with analyst estimates.
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.31 based on 6 analysts' estimates, up from $0.26 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $154.88M, up from $129.45M a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $23.00.
Average recommendation: Hold
- On April 19, 2012, B&G Foods Inc. reaffirmed fiscal 2012 guidance and expects EBITDA of $166-$170 million. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts on an average are expecting the Company to report EBITDA of $170 million for fiscal 2012.
- On February 16, 2012, B&G Foods Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects adjusted EBITDA in the range of $166.0-$170.0 million. The Company also announced that the Board of Directors increased the Company's quarterly dividend 17.4% from $0.23 to $0.27 per share of common stock.
Diamond Foods, Inc. (DMND), General Mills, Inc. (GIS), Lancaster Colony Corporation (LANC), and The J. M. Smucker Company (SJM) are considered major competitors for B&G Foods Inc. and the table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry.
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies and S&P 500 index for the last one year period.
Competitors' Latest Development
- On July 10, 2012, General Mills, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2013, the Company still targeting net sales to grow at a mid single-digit rate and expects adjusted diluted earnings per share to grow approximately $2.65, including headwinds from pension expense, tax, and acquisition-related costs for Yoki.
- On June 28, 2012, Reuters reported that the Board of Diamond Foods, Inc. failed to properly oversee the Company, damaging its reputation and costing it the chance to buy rival Pringles, according to a shareholder lawsuit filed on June 27, 2012.
- On June 27, 2012, General Mills, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2013, it expects net sales to grow at a mid-single-digit rate. The fiscal 2013 guidance provided above does not include any contribution from the anticipated acquisition of Yoki Alimentos, S.A., a Brazilian food company.
- On June 26, 2012, General Mills, Inc. announced that its Board of Directors has approved an 8% dividend increase for General Mills common stock. The new quarterly dividend of $0.33 per share is payable August.
- On June 7, 2012, The J.M. Smucker Company announced that for fiscal 2013, it expects net sales to increase approximately 7%, compared to 2012, including an incremental eight-month contribution from the Sara Lee foodservice business, non-GAAP income per diluted share to range from $5.00 to $5.10, excluding special project costs of approximately $0.50 per diluted share.
- On May 24, 2012, General Mills, Inc. announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Yoki Alimentos S.A., a privately-held food company headquartered in Sao Bernardo do Campo, Brazil.
- On May 22, 2012, General Mills, Inc. announced a productivity and cost savings plan designed to improve organizational effectiveness and focus on key growth strategies.
- On May 15, 2012, General Mills, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects to deliver adjusted diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $2.53 to $2.55. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts were expecting the Company to report EPS of $2.54 for fiscal 2012.
- On May 7, 2012, Diamond Foods, Inc. announced the appointment of food and beverage industry veteran Brian J. Driscoll as President and Chief Executive Officer, effective May 8, 2012.
- On March 26, 2012, The J.M. Smucker Company announced that it has acquired a non-controlling minority interest in Guilin Seamild Biologic Technology Development Co., Ltd., a privately owned manufacturer and marketer of oats products headquartered in Guilin in the Guangxi province of China, for approximately $35 million.
- On February 17, 2012, General Mills, Inc. announced that it estimates that 2012 third-quarter adjusted diluted EPS will total $0.54-$0.56. The Company revised its fiscal 2012 adjusted diluted EPS guidance to $2.53-$2.55. The Company's guidance had been $2.59-$2.61. Adjusted diluted EPS excludes the effects of mark-to-market valuation of certain commodity positions, and integration costs for the Yoplait international acquisition completed July 1, 2011.
- On February 16, 2012, The J.M. Smucker Company announced that due to the impact of the third quarter results and an expected continuation of volume softness in the fourth quarter, as compared to the prior year, the Company is lowering its net sales and earnings guidance for fiscal 2012.
- On February 15, 2012, Diamond Foods, Inc. announced that The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) and Diamond have mutually agreed to terminate Diamond's proposed acquisition of the Pringles business and have released each other from all liabilities related to the proposed acquisition.
- On February 13, 2012, Reuters reported that General Mills, Inc. agreed to buy Brazilian food company Yoki for 2 billion reais ($1.16 billion), in a move marking its return to Latin America's consumer market, a local newspaper reported on February 13, 2012.
- On February 8, 2012, Diamond Foods, Inc. announced that the Audit Committee of its Board of Directors has substantially completed its investigation of the Company's accounting for certain crop payments to walnut growers.
- On January 27, 2012, The J.M. Smucker Company announced that it has declared a $0.48 per share dividend on the common shares of the Company to be paid on March 1, 2012, to shareholders of record at the close of business on February 10, 2012.
- On January 17, 2012, Diamond Foods, Inc. announced that its Board of Directors approved a cash dividend of $0.045 per common share. The dividend will be payable on February 2, 2012, to stockholders of record as of January 24, 2012.
The stock has a market capitalization of $1.28B and is currently trading at $26.49 with a 52 week range of $15.29 - $27.54. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 12.48%. It is currently trading above 20, 50 and 200 SMA.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.