Qualcomm (QCOM) has consistently added to earnings-driven evening gains in next-day trade while on the other side it has cut back or reversed its after-hours declines the following day.
QCOM has recorded an after-hours gain in 17 of the quarters we've tracked, widening its direction (adding to its after-hours gains in next-day regular session trade), in nine quarters (53% of the time). The stock has recorded an after-hours decline in 16 quarters, reversing direction in follow-on regular session trade in 12 quarters (75% of the time).
QCOM is due with its Q3 results in tonight's evening session, and analysts are expecting the company to report a profit of $0.86 per share on revenue of $4.67 billion, according to Capital IQ.
The stock's post-earnings performance history follows:
- On April 18, 2012, QCOM dropped 3.5% in night trade after beating on Q2 and setting mixed guidance. The stock shed even more then next day, closing the April 19 regular session down 6.6%.
- On Feb. 1, 2012, QCOM jumped 4.8% in evening trade after reporting better-than-expected results and guidance. It saw a good chunk of that gain narrow the next day, ending the Feb. 2 regular session up 1.9%.
- On Nov. 2, 2011, QCOM surged 9.4% in night trade after reporting better-than-expected results and guidance. The stock narrowed its gains modestly the following day, ending the Nov. 3 regular session up 7.5%.
- On July 20, 2011, QCOM declined 2.5% in after-hours trade despite topping Q3 earnings estimates and setting guidance in a range that surrounded expectations. The stock stock narrowed its downside the next day, ending the July 21 regular session off 0.6%.
- On April 20, 2011, QCOM gained 4.4% in evening trade after posting better-than-expected Q2 results and issuing guidance that straddled the Street view. The stock cut its upside the following day, ending the April 21 regular session up 3%.
- On Jan. 26, 2011, QCOM firmed 5.7% in after-hours action after posting better-than-expected results and guidance. The stock edged slightly higher the following day, closing the Jan. 27 regular session up 5.8%.
- On Nov. 3, 2010, the stock rose 6.7% after a Q4 earnings and revenue beat. Shares rose a slimmer 5.8% the next day.
- On July 21, 2010, the stock gained 5.7% after a Q3 beat and Q4 guidance largely in line with the Street view. Shares jumped 8.1% the next day.
- On April 21, 2010, QCOM tumbled 7.9% in evening trade despite beating Q2 expectations and setting in-line guidance. The stock cut its downside modestly the following day, closing the April 22 regular session down 7.7%.
- On Jan. 27, 2010, QCOM tumbled 10% in after-hours trade after beating on Q1 but issuing Q2 guidance below estimates. The stock added to its downside the following day, ending the Jan. 28 regular session down 14.2%.
- On Nov. 4, 2009, the stock was up 1.6% during evening trading despite a miss and revenue guidance below the Street. Shares rose 5.4% the next day.
- On July 22, 2009, QCOM slumped 4.8% in after-hours trade despite posting better-than-expected Q3 results and Q4 guidance that straddled the Street view. It saw a good chunk of that decline narrow the following day, ending the July 23 regular session down 2.1%.
- On April 27, 2009, QCOM advanced 2.2% in pre-market trade after beating Q2 revenue expectations. It added to its gains in the following regular session, ending bell-to-bell action up 4.3%
- On Jan. 28, 2009, the stock fell 4.9% during extended-hours trading after beating on revenue but guiding mostly below the Street. The loss was trimmed slightly the next day and shares ended down 4.6%.
- On Nov. 6, 2008, the stock fell 2.8% in evening trading after the company beat with Q4 but guides below the Street for Q1. Shares reversed to gain 8% the next day.
- On July 24, 2008, QCOM soared 20.7% in pre-market trade after reporting better-than-expected revenue, in line earnings, and mixed guidance. The stock saw that gain moderate in the July 24 regular session, ending the day up 16.4%.
- On April 23, 2008, QCOM dipped 2.1% in after-hours trade despite beating estimates and boosting guidance. It reversed course the next day, rising 3% by the close on April 24.
- On Jan. 23, 2008, the stock gained 7.3% during evening trading after beating with Q1 revenue. The gain improved to 10.3% the next day.
- On Nov. 8, 2007, the stock slumped 8.5% during evening trading after QCOM beat the Street with Q4 results but guided for Q1 in line to below. The loss was trimmed to 4.1% the next day.
- On July 25, 2007, the stock gained 2.2% in evening trading after the company beat and guided above. Shares reserved to end down 0.8% the next day.
- On April 25, 2007, QCOM edged up 0.8% in after hours when the company beat Q2 expectations and guided for Q3 above Street views. Shares, though, couldn't build on those gains and dipped back 0.09% during the next day session.
- On Jan. 24, 2007, QCOM shares were up 2.4% in evening trading after the company reported just shy of the Street with Q1 sales, tops with EPS and guides for Q2 sales in line to lower. The stock reversed and fell 1.1% the next day.
- On Nov. 2, 2006, QCOM dipped 0.4% in night trade after beating Q4 estimates and estimates Q1 results would be in line to below expectations. The shares fought back and closed the next day's regular session up 0.3%.
- On July 19, 2006, the stock shed 5% in the evening session after the company beat on revenues and reported in line with EPS. The gain was a trimmer 2.4% the next day.
- On April 19, 2006, QCOM edged down 0.6% in after-hours trade after the company beat expectations and set its guidance mostly in-line to higher than Street estimates. The stock added slightly to the downside in the April 20 regular session, losing 1.2%.
- On Jan. 25, 2006, shares fell 1.2% in the night session after the company reported shy of the Street's view with revenues, beat by a penny with EPS and guided to the low end of the Street's range of estimates for Q2. Shares slipped 0.1% the next day.
- QCOM jumped 3% the night of Nov. 2, 2005 after the company beat revenue expectations and set a strong forward outlook. Buyers continued to flood into the issue in the Nov. 3 regular session, boosting the stock 9% between the bells.
- On July 20, 2005, QCOM gained 3.6% in night trade after Q3 results topped Street targets. It met more aggressive buying in the July 21 regular session, climbing 8%.
- QCOM was pressured 4.7% lower the night of April 20, 2005 after reporting revenue below estimates and setting a lowered outlook. It turned sharply higher on April 21, closing out the regular session with a strong 4.5% gain.
- QCOM slid 6.2% in the Jan. 19, 2005 after-hours session after the company beat Q1 earnings expectations but set its outlook below the Street view. The stock recorded heftier downside play in next-day trade, losing 8% by the Jan. 20 closing bell.
- The stock slipped 5% in the Nov. 3, 2004 after-hours session after the company reported in-line Q4 results but guided lower than expectations for Q1 and FY05. It cut its declines in the Nov. 4 regular session, ending the day down 4.5%.
- On July 21, 2004, QCOM added 0.4% in after-hours trade after the company topped estimates and guided higher. It jumped 7.1% by the close of the July 22 regular session.
- QCOM added 2.1% the night of April 21, 2004 after the company beat expectations and issued an upbeat outlook. It advanced 3.1% by the next day's closing bell.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.