Xilinx (XLNX) is scheduled to report Q1 results after the bell tonight, and analysts surveyed by Capital IQ are expecting earnings per share of $0.45 on revenue of $573.5 million.
XLNX is drawing an investor following on either side of the trade after its earnings report.
XLNX has leaned toward a pattern of widening price moves between the after-hours and regular session following 17 of its past 32 earnings-related events. Near term, the stock has narrowed the last four consecutive quarters.
The stock has recorded an earnings-driven upside move in 16 of the last 32 quarters in our database. It posted a more aggressive upside move the next day in nine of those events, or 56% of the time. On the downside, XLNX has recorded 16 earnings-driven after-hours declines, and added to its downside move eight times the next day, half the time.
- On April 25, 2012, XLNX gained 8.1% in after-hours trade after topping Q4 estimates. The stock narrowed its upside the next day, closing the April 26 regular session up 6.7%.
- On Jan. 18, 2012, XLNX gained 7.3% in evening trade on the back of better-than-expected results and guidance. The stock lost most of its upside the next day, ending the Jan. 19 regular session up a modest 0.9%.
- On Oct. 19, 2011, the stock edged up 0.6% after beating with earnings but missing with revenue. Shares closed flat the next day.
- On July 20, 2011, the stock fell 2.2% in after-hours trading following a Q1 beat and sales guidance that straddles the Street view. Shares rose 1.6% the next day.
- On April 27, 2011, XLNX advanced 2.1% in night trade after beating Q4 estimates. The stock leaped even higher the next day, closing the April 28 regular session up 6.3%.
- On Jan. 19, 2011, the stock slipped 0.7% after beating with earnings but missing with sales and issuing Q4 guidance that straddled the Street view. Shares rebounded to gain 0.7% the next day.
- On Oct. 20, 2010, the stock fell 1.4% after a Q2 miss and guidance for sales below expectations. Shares dropped 3.2% the next day.
- On July 21, 2010, the stock gained 1% in extended-hours trading after a convincing Q1 earnings beat. Shares were up 3.5% during the following regular session.
- On April 28, 2010, XLNX shed 1.6% in evening trade after topping Q4 expectations and setting its guidance above the Street view. It reversed direction the following day, closing the April 29 regular session up 0.6%.
- On Jan. 20, 2010, the stock slipped 0.8% after a Q3 beat. Shares rebounded to gain 5.4% the next day.
- On Oct. 14, 2009, XLNX slipped 1% in after-hours trade despite beating earnings expectations. The stock edged slightly lower the following day, ending the Oct. 15 regular session down 1.2%.
- On July 15, 2009, the stock fell 5.6% during evening trading after a sales miss but guidance above the Street view. The decline was trimmed to 1.9% the following day.
- On April 22, 2009, XLNX declined 3.1% in after-hours trade despite beating Q4 estimates. The stock moved deeper in the red the next day, closing the April 23 regular session down 5.6%.
- On Jan. 14, 2009, the stock slipped 0.06% in evening hours after a revenue beat. Shares rebounded to close up 5.5% the next day.
- On Oct. 15, 2008, the stock gained 2.5% in evening trading after XLNX earnings beat by a penny. The gain improved to 5.5% the next day.
- On July 16, 2008, the stock fell 2.8% in evening trading after a Q1 revenue miss and guidance that straddle the Street mean estimate. The loss deepened to 5% by the closing bell the next day.
- On April 23, 2008, XLNX declined 5.7% in after-hours trade after meeting on Q4 EPS and coming in shy on revenue. It cut its decline the following day, ending the April 24 regular session down 3.5%.
- On Jan. 17, 2008, the stock gained 4.7% during evening trading after a Q3 revenue beat. The gain more than doubled, to 12.5%, the next day.
- On Oct. 18, 2007, XLNX eked out a 0.9% rise in after-hours trade after topping Q2 estimates and forecasting a sequential rise in revenue. That gain failed to hold into the Oct. 19 regular session, and XLNX ended the day with a 2.5% decline.
- On July 19, 2007, the stock shed 4.8% in evening trading after reporting shy with earnings and guiding for revenue to be flat sequentially. The loss was a touch wider the next day, when shares closed down 5%.
- On April 25, 2007, XLNX was up 5.4% in the evening hours after the company beat with Q4 and offered a Q1 revenue view that straddles. The gain was a slimmer 3.3% the next day.
- On Jan. 18, 2007, the stock gained 1.7% despite a revenue miss and cautious guidance. Shares rose 3.9% the next day.
- On Oct. 19, 2006, XLNX jumped 7.8% in after-hours action after the company beat the analyst view for its Q3 and set Q4 revenue guidance above estimates. The upside scaled back in the Oct. 20 regular session, ending the day up 6%.
- On July 25, 2006, XLNX declined 4.5% in after-hours trade after the company missed on Q1 revenue and set its forward revenue outlook below expectations. It scored a sharp reversal in next-day trade, ending the July 26 regular session up 4.4%.
- On April 26, 2006, XLNX edged up 1.3% in evening trade after topping Q4 estimates. The shares jumped further the next day, ending the regular session up 6.3%.
- On Jan. 19, 2006, XLNX suffered a 5.8% drop in after-hours trade after the company beat on revenue but also set a sales outlook that could miss the then-current Street estimate. The stock was dogged lower in the Jan. 20 regular session, losing 8% by the close.
- On Oct. 20, 2005, XLNX edged up 0.8% in evening play after matching Q2 revenue expectations and beating on EPS. It found firmer upside support in the Oct. 21 regular session, advancing 3.7% between the bells.
- On July 21, 2005, XLNX rose 1.4% in after-hours trading after posting in-line Q1 EPS and better-than-expected revenue. It met more aggressive buying in the July 22 regular session, climbing 5%.
- On April 21, 2005, XLNX fell 2% after its EPS came in a penny short of expectations. It widened the move in the April 22 regular session, sliding 8%.
- On Jan. 20, 2005, XLNX rose 2.1% after hours despite posting earnings that declined from the previous year and missed Street targets. It widened its upside in the Jan. 21 regular session, gaining 2.4%.
- On Oct. 21, 2004, the stock fell 0.07% in night trade after topping Street estimates but forecasting lower sequential revenue. It fell even further in the Oct. 22 regular session, ending down 5.3%.
- On July 22, 2004, XLNX rose 2.7% in evening play despite missing Street expectations. It changed direction in the July 23 regular session, slipping 3.1%.