In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from CMG and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
In the last quarter it reported $1.97 EPS, beating analyst estimates of $1.93.
The consensus EPS estimate is $2.30 based on 25 analysts' estimates, up from $1.64 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $706.63M, up from $571.56M a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $457.50.
Average recommendation: Hold
Analyst Upgrades and Downgrades
- On April 16, 2012, Barclays reiterated Equal Weight rating for the company.
- On April 12, 2012, Argus reiterated Buy rating for the company.
- On February 16, 2012, Deutsche Bank reiterated Buy rating for the company.
- On February 2, 2012, UBS reiterated Neutral rating for the company.
- On February 2, 2012, Miller Tabak reiterated Hold rating for the company.
- On April 19, 2012, Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects mid single digit comparable restaurant sales growth.
- On February 1, 2012, Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects mid single digit comparable restaurant sales growth.
Darden Restaurants (DRI), Papa John's International (PZZA), Tim Hortons (THI), The Wendy's Company (WEN), and Yum! Brands (YUM) are considered major competitors for Chipotle Mexican Grill and the table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry.
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies for the last one year period.
Competitors' Latest Development
- On June 28, 2012, The Wendy's Company announced that it is reaffirming its fiscal 2012 outlook for adjusted EBITDA from continuing operations in a range of $320-$335 million.
- On June 22, 2012, Darden Restaurants, Inc. announced that Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.5 per share on the Company's outstanding common stock.
- On June 22, 2012, Darden Restaurants, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2013, it expects total sales growth to be between +6% and +7%. That translates into absolute dollar sales growth of $480 million to $560 million, which is quite substantial given the scale of most competitors within full-service dining.
- On May 8, 2012, The Wendy's Company announced that based on these results, the Company has revised fiscal 2012 outlook for Adjusted EBITDA from continuing operations to a range of $320 million to $335 million.
- On May 1, 2012, Yum! Brands Inc announced the promotion of Rick Carucci,, to President of the Corporation, reporting to Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, David C. Novak.
- On April 5, 2012, The Wendy's Company announced an agreement with The Wissol Group to develop 25 restaurants in Georgia and the Republic of Azerbaijan over the next 10 years.
- On March 23, 2012, Darden Restaurants, Inc. announced Board of Directors declared a quarterly dividend of $0.43 per share. The dividend is payable on May 1, 2012 to shareholders of record at the close of business on April 10, 2012.
- On March 23, 2012, Yum! Brands Inc announced that the Board of Directors have declared a dividend of $0.285 per share of common stock. The quarterly dividend will be distributed May 4, 2012, to shareholders of record at the close of business on April 13, 2012.
- On March 1, 2012, The Wendy's Company reaffirmed its outlook for fiscal 2012, including adjusted EBITDA of $335 million to $345 million, which it originally issued at its January 30, 2012, Investor Day. In fiscal 2013 and beyond, the Company is targeting an average annual Adjusted EBITDA growth rate in the high-single-digit to low-double-digit range.
- On February 23, 2012, Darden Restaurants, Inc. announced that for third quarter of 2012, it expects earnings per share (EPS) in the range of $1.23 to $1.25. For fiscal 2012, the Company reaffirmed earnings per share guidance and expects EPS growth of 4% and 7%. The Company expects total sales growth of 7.0% to 7.5% in fiscal 2012.
- On February 13, 2012, The Wendy's Company announced the declaration of its regular quarterly cash dividend of $0.02 per share, payable on March 15, 2012 to stockholders of record as of March 1, 2012.
- On February 7, 2012, Yum! Brands Inc announced that, the Company is well-positioned to meet or exceed its annual target of at least 10% earnings per share growth in fiscal 2012 and beyond.
- On February 4, 2012, Attorney Advertising. Keller Rohrback L.L.P. announced that it is investigating possible legal claims against a Taco Bell Chain, operated by YUM! Brands, Inc., related to a 2011 Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak.
- On January 30, 2012, The Wendy's Company announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects adjusted EBITDA to be in a range of $335 million to $345 million. The outlook reflects continuing operations and excludes items such as relocation costs and other expenses related to the consolidation of the Atlanta restaurant support center with the Dublin, Ohio restaurant support center, which the Company estimates to be approximately $23 million.
The stock has a market capitalization of $12.44B and is currently trading at $392.37 with a 52 week range of $271.53 - $442.40. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 16.18%. It is currently trading above 200 SMA, but below 20 and 50 SMA.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.